Help me identify this saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babaoriley

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it as a part saw, plan to swap the chain brake to my 056 mag. It’s likely an 056, hoping it’s a super but there is no way to tell other than measuring the jug.

Attachments

• IMG_1863.jpeg
    IMG_1863.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1862.jpeg
    IMG_1862.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1861.jpeg
    IMG_1861.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1860.jpeg
    IMG_1860.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1812.jpeg
    IMG_1812.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1811.jpeg
    IMG_1811.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
That does not look like a chainbrake from here, just a hand guard. Does it have any linkage to a brake band around the clutch?
Well you know I'm not much on Stihls but after searching Acres and looking at a blown up pic of a 045AV (which appears to be the same as the OP's) there looks to be a linkage that attaches to the slot in the hand guard and the brake assembly is in the clutch cover. So it would seem that the spring loaded hand guard is both a hand guard and part of the chain brake system.

Well you know I'm not much on Stihls but after searching Acres and looking at a blown up pic of a 045AV (which appears to be the same as the OP's) there looks to be a linkage that attaches to the slot in the hand guard and the brake assembly is in the clutch cover. So it would seem that the spring loaded hand guard is both a hand guard and part of the chain brake system.
From where I sit I cannot see a linkage but possibly something fits into the slot of that hand guard that might connect to an arm or linkage, if so then a pic of the brake band in the clutch cover would have been good to have included in with the first set of pics. I like my Stihl saws but they are from the late 80`s on forward, the old stuff wasn`t worth the effort to find parts for them so they would never make me money on a paying job.

Got it as a part saw, plan to swap the chain brake to my 056 mag. It’s likely an 056, hoping it’s a super but there is no way to tell other than measuring the jug.
That goofy looking thing on the clutch is part of an 045AV "quickstop" setup if I recall right, so probably an 045.

Couple things need to be swapped, should be an easy swap, bolts, oil plates, chain adjustment stuff, that’s it I think.

Attachments

• IMG_1865.jpeg
    IMG_1865.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1864.jpeg
    IMG_1864.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
Doh! I forgot I'd saved this info awhile back: 056's had loose bar plates, 045's had them captured by the bar studs.
Not sure I get it. I have a 045 with loose plate. And the 056 has the plate held down by a screw, and the unknown saw has the plate held down by the studs. First 2 pics 045, third one unknown saw and last one 056 mag.

Attachments

• IMG_1900.jpeg
    IMG_1900.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1901.jpeg
    IMG_1901.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1899.jpeg
    IMG_1899.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1902.jpeg
    IMG_1902.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Only worked on one 045 and one 056 super - from memory the 056 had an exhaust outlet behind the clutch, the 045 didn’t? Someone can confirm this with certainty I’m sure.
I’ve seen 045 super and 056 super they don’t have exhaust outlet behind the clutch, only the 056 magnum has that kinda exhaust. I have some more pictures you can double check.

Cool, the 045 super doesn’t have that then. Cuz the 045 super and 056 super share the same engine I thought they have similar stuff as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1908.png
    IMG_1908.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back