Help with cutting problem please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crackhead

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 2 saws, but the one in question is a small 285 Poulen Pro.

When it cuts, sometimes it cuts for a bit, then the chain seems to just spin it the cut, but is not cutting. It also seems to cut better when the saw motor is close to the wood, or touching it. If I cut something using the middle of the bar the spinning or non cutting thing is more apt to happen.

I keep the blade sharp using the round file, so it is not like it is really dull.

Any suggestions?

C. H.

Sounds like you have spread bar rails. Wobble the chain in the groove (SAW OFF!) New bar and chain should get you back on track.

Don't forget the sprocket! If the sprocket is worn, the saw will not cut properly. If you continue to run a saw with a worn sprocket, you can end up with much more expensive repairs later.

What kind of chain? Are you using bumper tie strap chain, or safety chain? At least some of that stuff will not cut as the chain is filed down near 1/2, as the safety bumpers are high enough to act as depth gagues. If so, get a new chain...hopefully one without those awful bumper links.

What does your bar look like? Is it worn, does one side seem higher than the other? Cant cut with a chain that leans over.

Are you using the correct guage chain for your bar? again, leaning over hurts ya bad.

Have you checked the depth of the rakers and the bump straps? If they are keeping the chain from biting into the wood it won't matter how sharp you make the cutters. Depending on the chain they should be between .025" and .030" lower that the cutters for a wood saw. Talk to some of the chain guru's on the site and they'll steer you in the right direction.
Hope this helps.

crackhead, you told us your problem in the first sentence "Poulan"!!!LOL:p all kidding aside your bar rails are probably spread, i don't know that you are guilty of this but pushing hard through a cut will damage a bar quick. you can buy a bar rail closer from bailey's that will fix that problem fast:angel:

Back