Help with Flowering Dogwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an old wound also, probably happened same time as the other one. It just looked different to me because of the rot.
View attachment 1201990
Did you plant this tree and when was the mulch applied?
I've never seen a dogwood like this one - it's all branches and no trunk.
I did not plant it - previous owners - unknown age but pretty large tree. It's absolutely gorgeous when flowering.

I put mulch down late March of this year. The mulch ring was there before so I assume it was regularly mulched over the years.

I did not plant it - previous owners - unknown age but pretty large tree. It's absolutely gorgeous when flowering.

I put mulch down late March of this year. The mulch ring was there before so I assume it was regularly mulched over the years.
I would take the advice Ath offered:
Yeah...keep digging. That isn't quite the pronounced flare we are looking for. Some of those little roots around the trunk will turn into girdling roots putting pressure on the trunk as the tree and roots both grow, so cut them.

The damaged area. Look closer, or get a closer pic...are there scratches in there? Wondering if a squirrel or rabbit chewed on the tree down there. For some reason it seems like squirrels like dogwoods. We've chewing damage on several.

Thanks - what is puzzling is why the issue now? The tree is obviously very mature. And the mulch layer added this year wasnt abnormally thick. Why the sudden issue on a tree that is probably 20 years old.

How to Identify and Treat Common Dogwood Diseases on Gardener’s Path website by Joe Butler. The bark above the affected area on the center tree is cracking and checking. That is what Beech Bark disease looks like on my beautiful Beech trees. The article mentions a canker that gets in from a wound. I hope you have good luck treating it.

Latest posts

Back