Hillbilly hexa.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSEric

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been messing around on my grinder and started grinding chains like hexa but it's not exactly the same.
I have to admit, I seen this on youtube, all my good ideas are stolen.
To grind hexa you dress the wheel flat on the bottom then put a 10-20 degree slant on the left side of it. I did this by setting the grinder to 80 on the 1/8 wheel and 85 on the 3/16 then hold the dressing block straight up.
Once you dress the wheel this is as quick and easy to grind as round grind.
I have the grinder tilted to 50 degrees with these wheels with a 25 degree top plate angle with no tilt on the vice.
The pink wheel is 3/16 for 3/8 chain.
The green is 1/8 for .325 chain.
The oregon chain is 3/8, the chinese one .325.
IMG_1368.JPGIMG_1371.JPGIMG_1367.JPGIMG_1372.JPG

Have you tried reducing the hook some and widening the cutting surface? That's been my go to method for all my chains (round, semi-chisel or full), but especially for cutting dead hardwood and dirty conditions.

What are you cutting with that chain and on what motor?

The .325 chain is on a 55cc saw with a 16 inch bar. The 3/8 chain on a 660 clone with a 20 inch bar.
I cut pretty soft wood, green maple and spruce mostly so I can run more hook than most, I should have put that in my first post.
When I file a chain by hand I make it pretty pointy with lots of hook, this is less pointy than that.

If I have to buck up some dirty logs I'll set the grinder to 55 or 60 head tilt to make it more durable.
I can tweak it some in either direction, if it's holding up really good I could put the grinder on 45 and make it faster.
I didnt take any pics or try it yet but I ground .325 semi chisel the exact same way, hopefully it's works alright, if not I'll make it round again lol.

Latest posts

Back