Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about vertical. I had some good size Big Leaf Maple rounds to split. I had borrowed a splitter that would work vertically. I found it easier to pick up everything I could. Wrestling the rounds into the vertical splitter, lifting them up onto the baseplate was a huge chore. Luckily, I had them cut to 16" for my stove. I didn't measure them, but the 28" bar on the 044 didn't make it all of the way through. I found it easier to noodle those into 1/4s, them pick them up and set them on the splitter.

I was using another borrowed splitter the other day on some 24" alder, I was really disliking the lack of a table. I really thought about taking the time to build one instead of fighting the big halves. I would opt for a table over a vertical splitting option, if I ever break down and get one myself.

I don't know about vertical. I had some good size Big Leaf Maple rounds to split. I had borrowed a splitter that would work vertically. I found it easier to pick up everything I could. Wrestling the rounds into the vertical splitter, lifting them up onto the baseplate was a huge chore. Luckily, I had them cut to 16" for my stove. I didn't measure them, but the 28" bar on the 044 didn't make it all of the way through. I found it easier to noodle those into 1/4s, them pick them up and set them on the splitter.

I was using another borrowed splitter the other day on some 24" alder, I was really disliking the lack of a table. I really thought about taking the time to build one instead of fighting the big halves. I would opt for a table over
A Woodchuck Duel Peavey , makes ezy work with big rounds , IMG_0134.jpeg

So does the front end loader on the tractor. I've been picking most of the logs up from the end, getting them level at waist height this year. I've had a few that were too big for the tractor to lift, so a couple, half a dozen rounds off of the end is much easier on the back. Cutting wood was a lot easier when I was 50 and young...

So does the front end loader on the tractor. I've been picking most of the logs up from the end, getting them level at waist height this year. I've had a few that were too big for the tractor to lift, so a couple, half a dozen rounds off of the end is much easier on the back. Cutting wood was a lot easier when I was 50 and young...
Not everyone has a tractor, that tool makes it much easier, im not a youngster either, time stops for know one, work smarter not harder, 👍

I was using another borrowed splitter the other day on some 24" alder, I was really disliking the lack of a table. I really thought about taking the time to build one instead of fighting the big halves. I would opt for a table over a vertical splitting option, if I ever break down and get one myself.
I agree 100% on a table. I’d LOVE to add one to mine

Accumulating years and now a shoulder injury have me having to work smarter. Not pictured on the Wheel Horse D 200 is a hitch haul that I had on the weight box receiver to haul the red oak chunks to my splitter, in its vertical position. I lower the 3 point so I can roll the chunks off into a barrel dolly and maneuver under the ram that way. Oh, I have a chunk of 2x10 to enlarge the base.

Attachments

• IMG_20240917_181630718.jpg
    IMG_20240917_181630718.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Back