History of Bow Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember theseeing these when I was a kid. Great post, enjoyed the info. I always wondered what these were really for. Now I know.

Some more really nice bow saws Cliff. I really like that Terrill Model 50 - you just don't see many Terrill saws about the traps at all.

Great saws - great collection!!!

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks,
Yes The Terrill's are hard to find, I do have the first model FA.

EXCELLENT SAWS as always. That red Homie reminds me of the one I have sitting on the shelf waiting to see if i can get it running. It would look cool like yours if I can ever find a bow to put on it.

Thanks.

I remember theseeing these when I was a kid. Great post, enjoyed the info. I always wondered what these were really for. Now I know.

Thanks.

Really ,really, nice saws Cliff.Are the bows custom made?Or are they restored?
Lawrence

Thanks.
Some of the Bow bars I get are new old stock,
The other bars that are still in good shape I clean up and paint.

Hey i was wondering if anyone new where you could get a bow bar from now. I found one at cheaponlineparts.com but i think they were a little high, 189.99, i dont know though this could be a good deal. i checked ebay and only found one guy selling them and he was not even at his store. any help will be much appreciated.

cal195.jpg

cal186.jpg

cal188-1.jpg

Never have seen a bow saw in my area before, but the education you posted and the beautiful saws you have is very nice.

I like all the McCullochs you have in your collection, very nice.

Never have seen a bow saw in my area before, but the education you posted and the beautiful saws you have is very nice.

I like all the McCullochs you have in your collection, very nice.

Thanks.;)

Hey i was wondering if anyone new where you could get a bow bar from now. I found one at cheaponlineparts.com but i think they were a little high, 189.99, i dont know though this could be a good deal. i checked ebay and only found one guy selling them and he was not even at his store. any help will be much appreciated.

Bow bar for witch saw? Bow bars come up for sale all the time
on ebay.

A couple more of mine...

Here are some more that I have picked up recently. The first is a Poulan 5200, 85cc's of pure vintage American muscle.

Poulan5200bowsaw003.jpg

Another Poulan 3400 bow:

Poulan3400bowsaw2002.jpg

A family portrait of my Poulan bow saw family:

Poulan3400bowsaw2007.jpg

My first Echo, a 602VL:

Echobowsaw001.jpg

Hopefully, more to come in the future.

Very interesting topic! I can honestly say I have never seen one of these around here. And now I know why they were made, so thank you!!

I have a stihl 038 av magnum II and i tried looking on ebay and only found one. Sent the guy an email and didnt get a response from him. The bow he has pictured wouldnt fit my saw anyway. I have been looking every where for the past couple weeks and havent found on but i am going to keep on looking until i hopefully find one for a decent price.

There's a guy in Texas that makes bow bars. He sells on eBay too, they go for about 130.

I recently picked up a Homelite Wiz with a bow bar in running condition for about 80 bucks (incl. Shipping!) off eBay. There's good deals if you're patient.

I got a few more saws for my collection.

Stihl, Model S10.

cut1059.jpg

cut1061.jpg

cut1060.jpg

Homelite, Model 17

cut1064.jpg

cut1068.jpg

cut1071.jpg

The information and your saw are all amazing!!!

But for the million dollar question. (Or the busting of my balls)
I truly read and re-read darn near all the information you posted.
But it all comes back to post #4. It says NOT to use for this and that. All of which is pictured in all the other advertising.

My assuming: Great for bucking pulp wood, de-limbing down tops and clearing brush.
But this is noted that these are not to be done. I know I have miss read it in some fashion.

Give me a schooling as to what these bars would be used for now.
And ya, feel free to rag on me as well.

The information and your saw are all amazing!!!

But for the million dollar question. (Or the busting of my balls)
I truly read and re-read darn near all the information you posted.
But it all comes back to post #4. It says NOT to use for this and that. All of which is pictured in all the other advertising.

My assuming: Great for bucking pulp wood, de-limbing down tops and clearing brush.
But this is noted that these are not to be done. I know I have miss read it in some fashion.

Give me a schooling as to what these bars would be used for now.
And ya, feel free to rag on me as well.

Two different bars
The larger round bar is a Bow bar made for bucking, Plunge cutting
with the front lower end only.

The clearing bar is made for plunge cutting small limbs and trees,
Can be used to saw like a straight bar too. You do not want to saw
anything larger then the the Clearing bar is long.

The Warning's I posted came with a Bow bar I bought, not a
Clearing bar.

I recently got a clearing bar, and been sitting on a round (style bow-bar) and want to put them on saws to actual use (play around with.).

Would a clear bar say mounted on a 026-260 be productive for limb-ing tree tops on downed trees? Seems the length and reach(being able to use the end-tip, would be productive.)

Cliff, you have the most amazing collection of neat saws, how many acres does it take to store and display all of those beauties?

Mark

Thanks,
Some do take up a little more space. There packed close in the saw shed
but not touching each other.

I recently got a clearing bar, and been sitting on a round (style bow-bar) and want to put them on saws to actual use (play around with.).

Would a clear bar say mounted on a 026-260 be productive for limb-ing tree tops on downed trees? Seems the length and reach(being able to use the end-tip, would be productive.)

You will need to try them and see it fit your sawing needs.
Just go slow and easy and keep a light trigger finger, ready to release
at anytime.

Last edited:
Back