Hoffco Super 90 w/pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buzz,

A couple of things you can check:

Fuel inlet lever heigth
Needle wear both on the seat and side to side in the orifice
Plugged fuel tank vent
Restricted exhaust flow

Hope something helps with that Ol' beauty!

Brian and Tina

Great suggestions. Inlet lever is level or just a hair below the adjacent body surface, same as where I put all my HLs. New needle and seat. Fuel tank vent is clear but this happens as I'm pulling to start. Shouldn't be any pressure in the tank.

Could be exhaust restriction. Maybe not enough opening in the cover I made. I'll remove it and try it. I've just never seen a saw flood like this while pulling the starter.

attachment.php

rubber on left is the up or needle side, on right installed in brass part,copper washer goes in first, shows wear from screwing down brass.
how did the rubber seat get lose?
check the welch plug for seal, also the order of gasket/ diaphram in the fuel pump side. also the high & lo jet adjs. something is letting too much fuel into the venturi. make sure the needle seat is fully seated.
hope this helps.

Hey Buzz. I always like your resto threads. Great work every time. Any chance of you posting a bunch of projects in one new thread. The saws you've done in the last few years or something. I think it would be impressive to see them altogether. There's got to be quite a few projects you've completed in the last few years.

Turtle, I pulled the seat looking for dirt that might keep the needle from seating and found the rubber seat stayed in. Washer is in, gasket on the housing, then the diaphram. Before I pull the carb again (bit of a pain on this one) I'll remove the muffler cover and see if that helps.

Thanks MS 260, not a bad idea. 7Oaks suggested a calendar. That might be a first but I'm not sure if I have 12 done yet.

I have this Root/Whiz with a 610 West Bend, The carb sits just like yours.
When I first got it I rebuilt the carb and did not have any flooding problems.
Must be your needle seat not seating right. I always went flush with the lever
to start with.
I have had to lower it befor on other carbs just below flush because of flooding.
Do you have a good spring under the lever? May want to check how the needle
seat moves on its side the way the carb sits on the saw.

attachment.php

I have this Root/Whiz with a 610 West Bend, The carb sits just like yours.
When I first got it I rebuilt the carb and did not have any flooding problems.
Must be your needle seat not seating right. I always went flush with the lever
to start with.
I have had to lower it befor on other carbs just below flush because of flooding.
Do you have a good spring under the lever? May want to check how the needle
seat moves on its side the way the carb sits on the saw.

attachment.php

Nice saw! I wish my carb was that accessible.
Yes, that's the same mount except the fuel line comes in from the bottom. If the opening the exhaust doesn't do it, I'll drop the lever a little. Spring is good.

Is there a spec for the amount of input force to lift the seat? I can try putting a pressure pump on it to check and compare it to another HL.

Is there a spec for the amount of input force to lift the seat? I can try putting a pressure pump on it to check and compare it to another HL.[/QUOTE]

i use 12-14lbs. as the pop-off pressure on ones i'm having problems with. it should drop to 5-6lbs and reseat. this came from an article on an ultralight site that was using walbro carbs.
for the mac flatbacks, check out :Steve O'Hara Manual some of this may be applied to the HL as well. they like16-18 lbs. in the kart motors, which is closer to the disp. of the hoffco. also the rubber seat can harden up and not seal so well. the needle is a close fit in the brass and should align o.k. on it's side.btw, nice job on the saw !!

Last edited:
Go this monster running today. Problem was the fuel pump diaphragm - I had both that and the gasket with the large hole in the middle - matched what I took out. I replace the diaphragm with one with no hole - only the flaps, and it took right off.
I'll post a video soon.

attachment.php

Very nice job. It looks great and now it should run well too. I always thought those 820 bender saws were cool. Up til now the whitehead logger was my favorite, but I think that big motor in this sleeker package is the bee's knees.:msp_thumbsup:

Buzz Sawyer, absolutely incredible vintage chainsaw find, love the video sounds incredible. Would love to see the pictures that you posted, for some reason I'm unable to see them. I have 3 different west bend 820 saws, I love saws powered by the west bend saws.

Latest posts

Back