How do you place the Carlton File-o-plate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironhunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I decided to buy a Carlton file-o-plate with my last Bailys order.The provided directions were for a chain and not a plate.How does this trick looking tool fit on/against the chain? I know I sound like a hick for asking this, but I have never used a gauge on the rakers and thought I could improve my filing abilities by learning to use this tool.

Here's my little memory aid for the FOP. Hope it helps.
fop_325.jpg

As mntgun shows, and FWIW here's both sides plus the cutter

attachment.php

I use mine just as you show in your picture but am using LG chain and the raker doesn't fit through the hole unless I angle the plate and not have the the guide actually touching the cutter in front which makes it a little difficult to hold in place. Any suggestions?

I am using LG chain and the raker doesn't fit through the hole unless I angle the plate and not have the the guide actually touching the cutter in front
I'm not 100% sure I understand what you are saying, but on some chains you have to index the FOP on the raker itself rather than the adjacent cutter. Some people index on the raker so that the FOP can be used on skip chain.

As long as you are consistent in your technique, I don't think it matters. The concept is to maintain a constant angle of about 6 degrees between each cutter and its raker.

I use mine just as you show in your picture but am using LG chain and the raker doesn't fit through the hole unless I angle the plate and not have the the guide actually touching the cutter in front which makes it a little difficult to hold in place. Any suggestions?
not sure but belive the 509 plate is what I use on my lg.what # plate you using?

Back