Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snagged another 254xp at the weekend (number five - I have one other runner and three projects). It was for sale locally, nine miles away. It's a little rough cosmetically, but runs great.

Tested it today by cutting down a small Mountain Ash (Rowan), a small Lilac and an old climbing frame made from 6x6 timber.

View attachment 1213693
View attachment 1213692
View attachment 1213694
So the question that comes to mind is: is it right hand drive? I know you folks over across the pond drive on the wrong side of the road and all.:laugh:

Snagged another 254xp at the weekend
Good luck with your "new to you" saw.

I have never seen a 15" bar before! I think all the ones on this side of the pond are even # sizes (12,14,16,18,20) until you get to 25, which is really just a re-named 24. IMO, the only reason they re-named the 24" a 25" is so you would not notice that a 28" is really just a 27"!!!

Where is camp??? You don't have Moose in NC, do you???
Not down here. Nulhegan Basin NEK, VT. When I sold my house north of there I lived in my hunting camp a few years. Moose in the yard, fish in the pond. No power, running water and an outhouse. Firewood within walking distance. Epic.

Bent your axle? I bent my frame by overloading with logs. I've got some angle iron I'm going to weld to the cross members after I straighten them.

A lot of people here will agree with you about hand splitting for the exercise. Just remember, some day you'll be old and you'll feel the toll hand splitting has taken on your body over the years.
Yes, bent the axle, pulling the trailer over rough ground in the timber. Lots of pocks from blown down trees over the centuries. Tire was down in one of the holes.

Oh! I know all about that toll on the body. I messed up both wrists in jr high/high school by splitting. (long time ago). I had to wear wrist wraps or braces for 25+ years. The shock of a strike into a bole that did not split is hard on the wrists. THat is why I only do a little bit per day. Not my first rodeo. I'm old.

Someone else had posted a railroad video earlier, here's when a Yellowbonnet GP50 lead a Galesburg, IL/Twin Cities, MN road freight last year. Having been in middle school during the BNSF merger back in 1995/1996 it was nice to see this old workhorse out front.

Nice! I still prefer the old warbonnet redheads. The blue/yellow looks much better than the warren buffet age BMSF orange. The warbonnets were classy. I grew up within earshot of ATSF mainline, and only 20 miles from Burlington, and the CB&Q mainline. We had Santa Fe shops. Burlington had bigger CB&Q shops.

My "log skidder." Yes, It is a joke. But the tractor is the only equipment I have to haul out logs or firewood. The depth of the holes in the ground don't really show in the pictures. This is within a few feet of the hole I bent the trailer axle in last year.

Attachments

• IMG_4026.jpeg
    IMG_4026.jpeg
    691.1 KB
Anyone know if a file holder like this is available anywhere? This is probably 60 yrs old. It says "Made in Italy" and "For 7/32 file". (for the old Mac) I like it because you can see the tooth, and you can see the file working, but still beats freehand. I don't like the current Stihl ones that hide the chain (tooth) while you file.

The dealer who sold this to my dad was a homelite dealer at the time. (Blue, but about the time they turned red). I don't know if it was distributed by Homelite before Textron, or if he found them somewhere else. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_4044.jpeg
    IMG_4044.jpeg
    512.5 KB
  • IMG_4045.jpeg
    IMG_4045.jpeg
    489.8 KB
  • IMG_4046.jpeg
    IMG_4046.jpeg
    344.2 KB

Latest posts

Back