How would you cut the branch circled in red

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is

View attachment 1186805
I have a tie in where number 2 is and a throwline over the x so i can pull my self out. Or i could set a throw like in number 1 and basically go straight down because there is a fork you cant see and number 3 is the crotch im guessing you were talking about. But it could also be the crotch to the left of number 2. When i pull my self out i plan on leaving the end of my rope in one of the crotches so i dont have to worry about the end of my rope.
I was referring to the crotch left of #2 but if you have a good one at #1 that would be ideal. The less lateral you are in relation to your tie in point the better. I don't know your experience level but if you are just starting out it would be good to have an experienced guy with you in case things don't go as planned.

I was referring to the crotch left of #2 but if you have a good one at #1 that would be ideal. The less lateral you are in relation to your tie in point the better. I don't know your experience level but if you are just starting out it would be good to have an experienced guy with you in case things don't go as planned.
idk anyone willing to do that but it will go as planned bc the alternative is injury or death the only thing im actually worried about is the cuts and im not super worried as as long as i cut a wide face so and the hinge isntso thick the limb somehow hangs i dont have much worry. Probably wont even flip line into the limb to cut the trigger just have my secondary flip line wrapped below the cut, cut through the trigger, let go of the rope and swing to the trunk to get away safely. With the climb line hung as high as it is the swing shouldnt be crazy but i will practice it to see if it is feasible or not. By feasible i kean controlable and safe..ish

You realize what forum you're posting in, don't you?
I really hope that someday the owners of this site will realize that only qualified professionals with some sort of credentials or experience should be able to offer information in the home owner helper forum.
It's painful.

You're plan sounds good.

If you have rope you could hang the tip from high up the trunk and tie the butt near the trunk and then cut it whole. Then climb down and lower the two ropes as desired, maybe have a tagine attached to guide it down.

I do a lot of this as a solo climber. I've done a lot of what I call heavy pruning this year, removing large limbs like that.

You realize what forum you're posting in, don't you?
lol. Yes. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to reply to that post. Not everything requires a chainsaw and the branch looked smaller and closer to the ground in the picture to me. For a few minutes work I often get the sawzall out. Just lighter and easier.

I really hope that someday the owners of this site will realize that only qualified professionals with some sort of credentials or experience should be able to offer information in the home owner helper forum.
It's painful.
Go back and read the title the poster put up. It was not "How would you cut this with a chainsaw". If it was lower and smaller as the picture looked to me, that would be how I would do it. The subsequent comments after the OP were very good on proper chainsaw technique to deal with this and several different approaches. No need for the "let the experts deal with it, sonny".

Go back and read the title the poster put up. It was not "How would you cut this with a chainsaw". If it was lower and smaller as the picture looked to me, that would be how I would do it. The subsequent comments after the OP were very good on proper chainsaw technique to deal with this and several different approaches. No need for the "let the experts deal with it, sonny".
Anyone that suggests ratchet strapping a ladder to a tree and climbing with a Sawzall needs to be reading posts, not posting here. If you read the intro to the Homeowner helper forum you will see it says this is where homeowners can come to get advice from the pros. Furthermore, if you had read the OP's posts better, you would have noticed he was specifically asking for climbing advice, and how to cut it with a chainsaw.

And finally, if you think ratchet strapping a ladder to a tree makes it safe, you should watch more youtube. If that branch swings around and hits the ladder it's still going to bounce you right off.

Latest posts

Back