How young is too young to run a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walexa07

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A neighbor down the road gave me a 36" DBH post oak so long as I would fell it and a 30" DBH pine........he has had 3 trees fall on or swipe his house in the last few years and wanted them all gone. Well, I cut the 2 trees down, and have been working a couple hours at a time bucking and splitting the oak (cut the pine up in short sections for him to split and burn). Took my son with me last weekend and under very close supervision went through the basics and let him make a few cuts with my 026. He is 8 years old, and I think it made him feel 10' tall. He had to tell his sister and step-mom as soon as he saw them (actually he was asking me beforehand what I figured his sister would think, playing it all out in his mind). It generated all sorts of questions, "daddy, how old were you when you ran a chainsaw the first time?" Of course I was much older than him, probably 19 or 20. I have not told him yet that the 026 will be his one day when he is older as I'm not sure he could contain himself, but it surely will be.

I have no intentions at all of letting him loose with the saw on his own, matter of fact my hands were on the handles 50% of the time......I warned him of the kickback zone, showed him how to use the dogs, and showed him how to hold his thumbs on both handles to reduce possible kickback damage. And told him to never get the chain in the dirt if at all possible.

Anyway, just wondering what everyone here thinks about the proper age.......I realize that it is different for different kids, size, motor skills, etc., but in general.

I wish I had a 170 or 180 size saw........I think the 026 for him would be like me running an 880? He is about 55 pounds and slender.

Waylan

Personally I think 8 is too young. My boy is just 4 1/2 and I don't think I'll have him running my push lawmower until he's 10, anyway. I imagine 12 to handle a chainsaw under very close supervison. Clearly this is just speculation as he hasn't grown yet and I have nothing to really compare it to. I think I first handled a saw at about 14. A chainsaw is just such a dangerous tool. Maybe I'll get my son to handle a bow saw for a while - limbing for me, and see how he does. If he gets a scratch with that maybe he'll appreciate the idea of running the chainsaw a little more.

MarkG

I have real concerns about a child that young having the physical strength to control most types of power saws, as well as the judgment to remain vigilant for all the good things you told him.

Also be careful about him trying the saw when daddy is not there, or showing his friends what he knows (not that any of us ever did those kinds of things when we were young . . .).

I first used a chainsaw when I was 16, shown some basic things, and was lucky for several years. It wasn't until much later that I learned and understood safe work practices.

Philbert

I agree with the points about it being dangerous........that is why I had both my hands on the saw 50% of the time......we only made 6 cuts.

And although he is 8, he will be 9 in 20 days, 9/30/08. He has really great motor skills, has mowed with my riding mower (under close supervision), has been riding his own little atv for the last 3 years with no accidents, and him and his sister have both run my 3hp johnson outboard on our 14' jon boat (with me in the boat of course). I try to expose them both to as much as i can so their knowledge/experience is as high as it can be.

No fear of any of the saws being run w/o my knowledge........he minds very good, plus I am the only one with a key to the shop, but good point.........I need to have that talk with him.

And like I said, I have ZERO intentions to turn him loose with the saw.........but as long as I preach safety safety safety and let him make a few cuts when we go collecting firewood I would think he will be way ahead of the game by the time he gets old enough to run one unsupervised.

I was 19 or 20 when I got my 026.......it was my first saw and I had no one show me anything about saws. I had seen them used some by my father, but I was out of the house by the time I bought the 026, and was on my own. I consider myself very luck that I never hurt myself with it.

My son is real good with safety too..........anytime he is with me and I am about to use the angle grinder or anything that requires PPE he will ask about the safety glasses, ear plugs, etc, before I even have a chance to plug the tool in. I guess I have preached it so much to him that it is the first thing that comes to mind for him. Makes me proud.

Waylan

I agree with the points about it being dangerous........that is why I had both my hands on the saw 50% of the time......we only made 6 cuts.

And although he is 8, he will be 9 in 20 days, 9/30/08. He has really great motor skills, has mowed with my riding mower (under close supervision), has been riding his own little atv for the last 3 years with no accidents, and him and his sister have both run my 3hp johnson outboard on our 14' jon boat (with me in the boat of course). I try to expose them both to as much as i can so their knowledge/experience is as high as it can be.

No fear of any of the saws being run w/o my knowledge........he minds very good, plus I am the only one with a key to the shop, but good point.........I need to have that talk with him.

And like I said, I have ZERO intentions to turn him loose with the saw.........but as long as I preach safety safety safety and let him make a few cuts when we go collecting firewood I would think he will be way ahead of the game by the time he gets old enough to run one unsupervised.

I was 19 or 20 when I got my 026.......it was my first saw and I had no one show me anything about saws. I had seen them used some by my father, but I was out of the house by the time I bought the 026, and was on my own. I consider myself very luck that I never hurt myself with it.

My son is real good with safety too..........anytime he is with me and I am about to use the angle grinder or anything that requires PPE he will ask about the safety glasses, ear plugs, etc, before I even have a chance to plug the tool in. I guess I have preached it so much to him that it is the first thing that comes to mind for him. Makes me proud.

Waylan

Sounds like for almost 9 he has all the smarts. Lol. Seriously though, i have very big concerns for a child even one at almost 9 running a saw although i do appreciate your wanting to expose your kids to as much as possible i think a small bow saw is in order. I have grave concerns about myself running anything. I worked in the medical world for many years and a chainsaw whippersnipper, lawnmower etc... are no place for kids, once an accident happens its too late there is no "i wish i had done this or that" and, you must live with your decision the rest of your life and that would be rough i have seen it!!

Last edited:
despite all good intentions with the training and warning you did, and regardless the fact if your boy is physicaly able to handle equipment like this..

What are 8 year old kids thinking about?

How attentive they stay for how much time?
(wow was that a cat between the limbs?)

What triggers reflexes stronger than their concentration? (mam calling her 'real men in the woods' to get that hot chocolate, or a fly landing on his face)

Would you have him helping you building the roof of your house (with good warning and training, but still at +15 feet )

The danger is there and the consequences of a minor slip in handling are not minor. Chainsaws are no pocket knives.

Teach him good, watch him better.

Be carefull with him, you are his hero, he will not blame you but i dont know if i could live blaming myself after something went stupidly wrong...

:cheers:

See:

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=73490
Really your call based on your assessment of strength and other intangible factors. I suspect my little guy (almost 4) will start serious lobbying in a few years. He'll probably be mature and strong enough for the 017 by 12 or 13, so I'll have to play the part of the bad guy. But that's still a ways off.

Way Too Young!

You're Asking For It. A Chainsaw Is Way Too Dangerous For An 8 Yr Old Or 9 Yr Old For That Matter, Regardless Of His Motor Skills. Too Much Could Go Wrong Too Fast & Too Easy. One False Move Is All It Takes & You'll Have A Lifetime Of Regret. And When You're In The Emergency Room Trying To Stop The Bleeding Keep In Mind He Won't Be Going Home With You. The Police Will Show Up, Dhr Will Show Up, They'll Take Him From You, Lock You Up & You'll Be On The 6 O'clock News....nationwide. It Ain't Worth All That. In Fact, It Wouldn't Surprise Me If Some Goody Goody Do Gooder Is Requesting Your Personal Info Now & Seeking To Turn You In To The Authorities. Again, It Ain't Worth All That.

Yup, way too young. I think that 14-16 years old is o'kay, depending maturity, strength, and saw in hand. Heck it's your kid, why take a chance !!

I've got a 7 year old. He'll be 8 later this year. He won't be touching a chainsaw until he's somewhere in his teens. He is small and I can't see him being able to control it at this age. He's got to earn his keep humping brush, stacking wood and cleaning up before he gets to run the saw.

pleeezzz... 8 or 9 is way... too young

even if the kid is strong enough (doubtful) he doesn't have the maturity to understand a mistake can have life changing consequences.

pleeezzz... 8 or 9 is way... too young

even if the kid is strong enough (doubtful) he doesn't have the maturity to understand a mistake can have life changing consequences.

So you're saying that I should have gotten my nephew a saw for his 1st birthday? Still has all his limbs if you don't count toes. :cheers:

14 years old is when my boys will start using any of my saws. I have 1 son that is 14 now...and he's hankerin' at the bit to use my small Poulan saw right along with daddy and his MS361.

I guess we'll see, because Joseph is built like a tank and strong enough for us to call him our little "hulk".

I was 11 years old when my dad gave me a Mini-Mac to limb the tops of the trees he felled...I thought I was a real lumberjack. Thinking back on it now, there's no way I'd let my 11 year old son use a chainsaw!

Maybe dad was trying to get rid of me without me knowing it? :jawdrop:

All depends on the kid. You're the only one who can make that decision. For what it's worth, I started running a tractor in the hay fields when I was 10. I was about the same age when I started running a saw. I never had any mishaps.

Wow, alot of good advice..........I will be safe with him. Lots of you act as though I started the saw and gave him a few pointers and went on about my business........I was standing less than a foot away ready to react.....helped him get the saw started in every cut. I know, I agree they are dangerous, and don't blame anyone for being against it.........I guess I just see it through a little different light.

He will be in his teens before I let him actively help me, both running a saw each........and still in my supervision........I just thought it would be ok letting him make a few cuts everytime we go out, kinda give him something more to look forward to other than hard work and sweat.......heck, we didn't even have koolaid, lol. A bow saw?........I think he would quit going with me.

Anyway, didn't mean to start an alarming thread.

Maybe I can get some small chaps and hem them to fit, and put a full face shield on him if I can find one to fit, just to be extra cautious. I will be super careful no matter, but I intend to continue this practice.

Thanks again for all the safety pointers.

Waylan

I just had my 10 yr old son out with the 017. You are right a light saw like that is perfect for him, kinda why I got it. This is the second time he used it and did good.I am not turning him loose yet either. After about 10 minutes of cutting he said saw was getting heavy. I figured that was good enough for today.:chainsaw:

Wow, alot of good advice..........I will be safe with him. Lots of you act as though I started the saw and gave him a few pointers and went on about my business........I was standing less than a foot away ready to react.....helped him get the saw started in every cut. I know, I agree they are dangerous, and don't blame anyone for being against it.........I guess I just see it through a little different light.

He will be in his teens before I let him actively help me, both running a saw each........and still in my supervision........I just thought it would be ok letting him make a few cuts everytime we go out, kinda give him something more to look forward to other than hard work and sweat.......heck, we didn't even have koolaid, lol. A bow saw?........I think he would quit going with me.

Anyway, didn't mean to start an alarming thread.

Maybe I can get some small chaps and hem them to fit, and put a full face shield on him if I can find one to fit, just to be extra cautious. I will be super careful no matter, but I intend to continue this practice.

Thanks again for all the safety pointers.

Waylan
I think you're doing good. One thing to remember is that all that enthusiasm he has now for helping and using tools can easily wan if it's not encouraged. If you wait until he's old enough to drive, he may have lost any desire to help you. He'll always remember being able to run that saw for the first time now, though. :)

Latest posts

Back