How long do you wait on a customer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I'm going to do
Well, $310 is nothing to sneeze at. But, I doubt is going to break you either.

I'm still using a BR600, BR700, and MS660 after several years. Not sure where the BR600 came from.

But, if the other guys come they are welcome to their stuff back.

So, if you need a saw use it and you will have it.

I'm still using a BR600, BR700, and MS660 after several years. Not sure where the BR600 came from.

The saw should be equal to the 310.00, so !

All I've really lost is the $160 in parts, I would've rebuilt it the same if it was gonna be mine (which it's looking like it is)

It used to be in Ct that you had to hire a sheriff to serve the papers. It was one of the few things that went by county In Ct. Not sure how it works now. Also, in Ct to do repair work and charge money will necessitate registering with the consumer protection dept and buying a license to do so. This was not discussed in posts prior. If you don't have the license and the guy comes to pick it up, does not pay and takes it chances are you will legally be out of luck.
Also be careful in that some homeowners insurance policies(mine) specifically excludes home business working from the premises. Pushing the issue if you are not a recognized business could have unintended consequences

Also be careful in that some homeowners insurance policies(mine) specifically excludes home business working from the premises. Pushing the issue if you are not a recognized business could have unintended consequences
That's right don't stir up a hornet's nest, deal with it on your own.

As someone who does this on the side, it is 100% one of the most frustrating parts of the business.
I have thought about creating a text which i send to everyone before starting any equipment repairs. It gets sent, they read it, and no repairs or diag. starts until they reply "UNDERSTAND ALL"
The text will outline hourly rate, and most importantly storage fee's and rules. Which I've starting charging 10$ per day after 48 hours.
I bust my tail to get your equipment repaired in a reasonable window, it's your job to settle with me and get the equipment off my property.
The worst is the larger pieces of equipment or equipment on trailers, which people think is totally acceptable to leave in my driveway for 1-2 weeks without it being an issue.
And the closer the people are to you, the more likely they are to take advantage of the situation.

ALSO 40$ per hour is DIRT A$$ CHEAP. That saw repair would of cost 800$ had a dealership touch it these days. Dealerships local to me are charging 110-125$ per hour

Hi guys, this is about a stihl 261 I've repaired for a customer. I was finished with the saw on June 5th, I notified the customer that his saw was fixed and ready for pickup. That's been over a month now, I did reach out to him at the 1 month mark just to see if he was gonna pay me and get his saw, he said he would, that was 10 days ago. I know that some shops have a 30 day policy, some have 60 day policy, if you don't pick it up then it's considered theirs. No a huge problem that he ain't picked it up, I'm just out $160 in parts, and $150 in labor. My thing is, I need to know if he's gonna pick it up, cuz it's sitting in my shop, full of gas, I would glad run it if it was mine.

How would you guys handle this situation??

To be fair I didn't tell him that there was a time limit on picking it up, but any reasonable person would know I can't sit on it forever. Any input or advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Also, what are most of you charging an hour? Is $40 per hr too much?
I charge storage fees... It says that right on my tickets, perfectly legal. When I remind them of this I get payment fairly quickly. If my gut tells me I am going to have a problem with a customer I send them somewhere else and just keep the good solid customers. I have transitioned more towards general maintenance because of time.

We have all been there. Tried to repair something cheap for someone. If it comes back with more issues, not related to what you did, there first words are "you just worked on it". Don't matter if you did it for free or charged $100 an hour.
Once you work on something, you own it, as in responsibility.
Had a customer leave a saw after repair for a year. He was called at least twice.
Sold the saw. He came in 6 months later wanting the saw. We were threatened with arson and bodily harm.
Luckily he thought it over and recanted those statements.
To those who are going to repair equipment and undercut the "other guys", you are just as responsible. And without insurance, paperwork, etc., you won't have a leg to stand on when someone comes after you.
And they will!

We have all been there. Tried to repair something cheap for someone. If it comes back with more issues, not related to what you did, there first words are "you just worked on it". Don't matter if you did it for free or charged $100 an hour.
Once you work on something, you own it, as in responsibility.
Had a customer leave a saw after repair for a year. He was called at least twice.
Sold the saw. He came in 6 months later wanting the saw. We were threatened with arson and bodily harm.
Luckily he thought it over and recanted those statements.
To those who are going to repair equipment and undercut the "other guys", you are just as responsible. And without insurance, paperwork, etc., you won't have a leg to stand on when someone comes after you.
And they will!
My 40 dollars per hr wasn't to undercut anyone, it was me being neighborly. Most shops around here get 75-90 per hour, but I know he couldn't afford that, heck it seems like he can't afford 40 per hr.

Latest posts

Back