Husky 55 oiler problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My wife's grandfather has a Husky 55 with an apparent oiler problem. This saw is only 3-4 years old and isn't run much. He ran the saw without oil and ruined a bar and chain. I got him a new 20" bar and chain and filled her up with oil. Checked and it seems to be oiling fine to me BEFORE I installed the new bar and chain. I blew all the old sawdust off around the clutch area and put on new bar and chain. He calls after running it only a little while and says sparks were flying off bar at bottom and doesn't think it's oiling. What could be the problem? He cross-threaded the oil cap and it leaks a minimal amount and can suck air - could this cause the problem? I am a beginner and need suggestions. Does the Husky 55 oil pump work off vacuum or a gear? Thanks.

Running a good pump without oil can damage them, and he probably did it for a while to ruin a bar.

I havent had the oiler apart on mine yet thank goodness, but check the easy stuff first like the filter in the tank and be sure you have the correct bar for the saw (oil hole on bar matches the one on the saw)

Get a new cap now since you need one anyways. They leak bad enough without it coming out the cap too

Bar is correct

It had the original Husky 20" bar that he ruined and now has a new one just like it. I know this rules out the bar. The oil holes in the bar are not blocked either.

The 50/51/55 oil pumps are famous for not working. Even when new the are not assembled correctly sometimes. The metal plate under the bar cover is what locates the oiler. If you remove it you will see the drive gear and oil pump assembly. There is a rubber seal that gets mashed. Half of it is on the hose that goes into the oil tank and the other half is on a little square looking thing on the opposite side. If these are not sealing correctly the oil pump pumps air instead of oil. Mike

No offense intended, but maybe just take the saw away from Gramps? He seems to be pretty adept at making a mess of the saw, I'd hate to hear that he made a mess of himself.:(

Gramps would amaze you fellow

Hey, my wifes grandfather isn't the most mechanically minded person in the world but he doesn't need me to take his saw away from him. He is 87, burns at least 3-4 cords of wood each year and cuts, splits, hauls and stacks all of it by himself. He is "old school" at it's best and is twice the man I will probably ever be. Heck, he didn't even own a gasoline wood splitter until 3 years ago. He split all his wood every year with an axe up until then. He used a 55cc Partner for 12-15 years and now has 2 Husky 55's. Yes he forgets to fill the oil sometimes and has even forgot to put oil in his gas once but if I can do what he does at his age if I ever make it that long, I hope someone gives me a break just as I give him.

gramps

Good to hear gramps is still going strong at 87, my grandfather only made it to 73, man I miss him.

I also have a 55 with what I believe is an oiler problem. It oils all right, it just doesn't seem to be enough oil for the job. It doesn't "sling" oil, and the bar and chain can get very hot due to friction. The saw is about 7 months old and has about 10 hrs on it, falling a few softwoods and bucking firewood. This model doesn't have an adjustable oiler, I've taken the bar off and cleaned it, as well as the oiler port. Is there something that would cause the oiler to work at less than it's capacity? Blocked pickup tube? Stripped gears? Thanks, Spike

warranty, warranty - dont waste your own time - let husky make it right, its under warranty.

Back