Husky 562xp at won’t restart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how my buddies 562 acted when the coil was failing.
Take a spare plug with you and check for fire when it wont start.
His doesnt even need the hot start method now with a new coil and muffler mod it starts with half a pull hot.
Is there a way to test the coil?

No need to change a fuel filter that often, even in the worst operating conditions.
Do a check of the fuel filter and the fuel hose. Replace if necessary. That is straight from the manual for the 562xp under monthly maintenance. It also says clean and gap the spark plug or replace under the monthly maintenance category. The air filter should be inspected daily. Cut open a fuel filter after a month of hard use and you will see why they recommend this.

I did not see anyone mention to allow the saw to idle for 30 seconds or so before shutting it down. On the AT models it allows the saw to cool down a bit and the "computer" to recalculate the settings needed for proper running. I have an early 550XP and if I make the mistake and run it out of fuel on a hot day, better just set it aside for 30 minutes or so until it is ready to go again.

Mark

Do a check of the fuel filter and the fuel hose. Replace if necessary. That is straight from the manual for the 562xp under monthly maintenance. It also says clean and gap the spark plug or replace under the monthly maintenance category. The air filter should be inspected daily. Cut open a fuel filter after a month of hard use and you will see why they recommend this.
I've never had a reason to replace a fuel filter monthly, and that saw left me with the original plug in it. Some of those maintenence items are hold overs from decades ago. I haven't had a plug go bad in a 2 stroke in many, many years now. For whatever reason I still keep a few spares around just in case. Only got replaced because of covid parts bs and I had a job with rented equipment I needed to finish. Learned a valuable lesson, keep a carb/seliniod on hand for my auto tune/m tronic saws.

I tell people what the manufacturer recommends and if they want to do something different that is fine with me. We usually have a young guy that helps at the landing and if you saw how he fills the saws you would change the filter often too. I have never seen a gas can that didn't have a pile of dirt in the bottom of it. The engine might run with an old plug but I bet it runs better with a brand new one, 160 hrs I change plug and fuel filter. They can ice up in the winter also from condensation in the can or the tank, I always carry a few spare fuel filters with me along with a couple spare clutch bearings, e clips, rim sprockets, washers and spark plugs. I am having trouble getting a lot of basic small engine parts now. Backordered or not available, even for some newer equipment.

Benefit of being responsible for your own equipment. There's little or no dirt in my fuel cans, and the spouts have filter screens in them. I'm no clean freak by any standard, but I'm pretty anal about fuel systems and cleanliness in general. Spent too much time fixing others screw ups in coal mines and stone quarries to want issues with my own equipment. Mostly preventable issues. I'll have to respectfully disagree about the plugs. Just no reason to replace a good plug at some predetermined interval without just cause.

Benefit of being responsible for your own equipment. There's little or no dirt in my fuel cans, and the spouts have filter screens in them. I'm no clean freak by any standard, but I'm pretty anal about fuel systems and cleanliness in general. Spent too much time fixing others screw ups in coal mines and stone quarries to want issues with my own equipment. Mostly preventable issues. I'll have to respectfully disagree about the plugs. Just no reason to replace a good plug at some predetermined interval without just cause.
This is the way I look at it, pay now or pay later. I clean the saw tanks and gas cans weekly but they always get some grit dirt or dust in them somehow. Older guys know better but the young bucks don't.

The past two days I have gone into my wood lot to cut some hemlock and after starting the saw and cutting for maybe 10 minutes, I shut it off to clear the brush. When I tried to restart it no go. Took it back to my shop put a new plug on in and it started. Put the old plug in and it also started!! Today I encountered the same scenario except when I got back to the shop I tried to restart it and it fired right up immediately. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end.
It sort of seems like vapor lock but it isn’t really working long or hot
Do you purge the hot gas from your carb when it is hot? Push the primer 5 - 6 times. This does not prime the motor. You should also be setting the choke. Then push it down to the run position to set it on high idle before starting. The reason for purging the hot gas is to put cooler gas into the carb. This info is in the owners manual. Also let the saw idle for a short bit, as mentioned previously, before shutting the saw off. Don't use the chain brake when starting it up.

Today was different; the saw started normally and ran long enough for me to fell and sty to limb a 16 inch hemlock when it stopped suddenly. I was able to immediately restart it but after a few limbs quit again and restarted again and cut a few more limbs. It then quit a 3rd time and then wouldn’t restart. I have always used the hot start method after initial start.

I think everything has been said already, but I also have an earlier (2016) 572XP AT and I find that if I run it and shut it off when pulling out of a back cut of larger wood or soon after finishing a big buck it will not want to start and I either use fast idle or just one or two pulls with the throttle open. If I don't it will just flood because it doesn't know how much fuel (duty-cycle sampling rate) to add when you go to restart it. If you don't do the hot start you can pull the darn thing 30-40 times and it won't do anything.

I wish I put a tach on my buddies 562 before and after the coil swap, it seams stronger now.
He had a blown up 550xp so he put that coil on the 562xp, it runs better than new but the dealer told him it'll over rev and blow it up lol.
This could be a hop up for 562's.

Latest posts

Back