Husky 61 Practica ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never heard of that model, as far as I know husky just made the model 61 and the 61 rancher the rancher had less power. My friend has a 61 and it is a good saw.

BMO does your practica have a white top.
If so I have one also.
A steal at $10.00.
Needs a few small parts. Dated 1984
The throttle was not going full open, I guess it would not cut well so he sold it. 145 lbs compression.
Bob

Last edited:
I went to a auction this past weekend that had a white top Husky 61 practica. It also had the rancher sticker on it. I have no idea what the difference is either from a practica and a non-practica. Saw went for 130, just a little more than I was willing to pay.

I have the 61.
I saw a Pratica on E Bay and was curious as to the differences. I do see a few white top 61's, Ranchers and the Practica ?

The 61 Practica parts machine I had did not have a chain brake or a metal bar mount cover. It had a orange plastic bar mount cover and a white top. I think the muffler was different as well. It seemed to be the cheap version. I do not remember what the piston and cylinder setup was. There was also no spikes but they could have been removed.

All the 61's have a 48 mm piston and a 34mm stroke. They were all built to the same specifications with some minor changes in the later models. Some of the changes included additon of the chain brake, other plactic modifications and maybe different carburetors. They are a sturdy, well built saw that had been around since the 70's.

The "Practica" may be a reference to where it was built.

Last edited:
I went to a auction this past weekend that had a white top Husky 61 practica. It also had the rancher sticker on it. I have no idea what the difference is either from a practica and a non-practica. Saw went for 130, just a little more than I was willing to pay.

The Practica was just another name on the Rancher, as far as I know.

There has been several variants and changes trough the years (since 1976) , that didn't allway result in another model designation.

The 61 was originally a less powerfull and "simplified" version of the 162SE.

They were dicontinued here in 2002, but I think they still are sold on a few markets.

Last edited:
The 162se is the orginal saw of this family of saws...the 162se, 61, 66, 266, 268 and 272. It has a 48mm piston and a 34mm stroke just like the 61's. It has the same mechanical specifications which means the engines are the same but it is heavier as it has the metal fuel tank/handle.

All the 61's have a 48 mm piston and a 36mm stroke. They were all built to the same specifications with some minor changes in the later models. Some of the changes included additon of the chain brake, other plactic modifications and maybe different carburetors. They are a sturdy, well built saw that had been around since the 70's.

The "Practica" may be a reference to where it was built.
34 mm stroke

Basically the same saw just a carburetor change to add a bit more power also some had a chain brake some didn't so that was added to the newer models I believe as well. I don't know why folks steer clear of the rancher practica maybe they don't know it's just a carb change. And a lot of the rancher practica's that come through my shop have the newer more HP carbs already on them because someone already had a carb problem and it was replaced with the 61 carb. Today I got a practica rancher in the 1st one I have seen in yrs with the lesser powered carb but it still has a chain brake. The cases,cranks, cylinders, Pistons are all the same with the exception of the threads of the clutch and crank on the PTO side. But as long as the clutch is on it your good until you need to change it then you will have to make sure you get the proper thread that yours has.

Latest posts

Back