Husky L77 vs L65 Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone confirm what I have learned so far is true?

77 and 65 bottom end is supposedly the same and you can swap cylinder and P+R between the two. But the 77 cylinder is taller, needing a different cover because the spark plug boot sticks through. Is this correct? Is there anything else that I need to know?

Pondering my 65 rebuild and wondering if I can upgrade to 77CC along the way without too much hassle.

Thanks in advance.

The top cover will need a solution (should be easy?), and look up the IPLs to confirm that the carbs and intakes are the same - I don't know....

The IPLs are availiable at the Husky web-site, despite the age of the saws.

A top end for the pro versions (180/280/380/480) likely will fit as well - but I don't think it would make much differense - what likely made the 77 a "non-pro" in the 1970s likely was the lack of proper AV, not the engine.

Keep in mind that I am no expert on those saws.....

I have both. I rebuilt the 65 up from bare cases but have not really had to do much to the 77.

That said I don't remember the 77 jug really being taller, I think the angle of the plug is different and why it sticks through the cyl cover.

If I remember, everything else on them are the same, carbs etc. 100_5875 (Medium).JPG It has been sometime since I have messed with them though.

The 65 is in the foreground, the 77 in the back.

I have both. I rebuilt the 65 up from bare cases but have not really had to do much to the 77.

That said I don't remember the 77 jug really being taller, I think the angle of the plug is different and why it sticks through the cyl cover.

If I remember, everything else on them are the same, carbs etc. View attachment 393290 It has been sometime since I have messed with them though.

You likely are right - and the 77 top ends works really well on the 165 clearing saws as well, according to my brother (he knows)! :D

You likely are right - and the 77 top ends works really well on the 165 clearing saws as well, according to my brother (he knows)! :D

The 77 is the stronger saw but then again it should be. I like these 2, but then again really haven't ran either one that much.

I probably traded a better saw for the 77 as it was a SXL 925 but I had four of them at the time and just wanted another Swede saw.

I assume the lack of a proper AV system was the reason that the 65/77 were no longer regarded as pro saws in the 1970s, and the production was moved to the TOMOS factory in Yugoslavia around 1974 (promoted by the infamous Swedish prime minister Olof Palme).

If I remember, everything else on them are the same, carbs etc. View attachment 393290 It has been sometime since I have messed with them though.

Those saws are beautiful!

They are very good candidates for a top end swap to an L77 or downgrade to an L65 if you want more parts availability. They both run the same carburetor and have the same piston stroke length. Same cylinder bolt pattern... I've been able to source carburetor rebuild kits and plenty of parts from Ebay in 2024.

Latest posts

Back