Husqvarna 444SE and 44 rebuild cylinder/piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doleken

Reaction score
I have an older Husqvarna 444se and a 44 which are both low on compression.

I searched in the forum to find a fitting piston/cylinder combination of another model (new parts obosolete) without result.

Has anyone experience with this rebuilds?

Many thanks!

I have an older Husqvarna 444se and a 44 which are both low on compression.

I searched in the forum to find a fitting piston/cylinder combination of another model (new parts obosolete) without result.

Has anyone experience with this rebuilds?

Many thanks!
What do you have for dimensions on those pistons. From the top of the piston to the bottom of the skirt. Also from the top of the piston to the center of the piston pin? I know some have used an or 346 piston with some modifications. There are some others piston’s to compare with.

@Bob Hedgecutter you have any insight on this? I have an early (possibly first year) 140S which is the predecessor to pretty much every rear handle 40cc saw husky made since. I believe bore diameter changed with 44 and 444 if I remember correctly. Looking at the IPL for those saws part number is different for both top ends. I’ll have to do a little more digging but I don’t think there’s any crossover from prior models?

@Bob Hedgecutter you have any insight on this? I have an early (possibly first year) 140S which is the predecessor to pretty much every rear handle 40cc saw husky made since. I believe bore diameter changed with 44 and 444 if I remember correctly. Looking at the IPL for those saws part number is different for both top ends. I’ll have to do a little more digging but I don’t think there’s any crossover from prior models?
Why me? :surprised3:
I do own a 444 SE and can certainly measure things up if needed- I have service manuals for both 44 and 444- so can share piston part numbers- but as for what else might work? No idea without modification/machining etc, well at least off the top of my head0 its been a big day. :D

Why me? :surprised3:
I do own a 444 SE and can certainly measure things up if needed- I have service manuals for both 44 and 444- so can share piston part numbers- but as for what else might work? No idea without modification/machining etc, well at least off the top of my head0 it’s been a big day. :D
well, I figured you would probably respond to this post eventually lol. I just sped up the process.

The 44 is open port and the 444 is closed port so the pistons are different. Both are 42mm bores. The 444 cylinder was made by Kolbenschmidt (939/2A or 939/2B on the ones I've seen). The 44 cylinder was made by Mahle (42ZD2 and 42ZD5 on the ones I've seen). As for usable alternate pistons, sorry, no clue.

I was hoping someone had one of the pistons in hand that could take measurements (without a saw teardown) lol. These are great saws it would be nice to find a reasonable substitution.

Any one have a 44 rancher piston in hand?

242XP and 346XP can be made to fit- you need to take some material off the top and possibly the skirt as well.
There are threads on here about it, I remember looking as my own saw is also down a bit and I looked into possible replacements myself.
I dug up copies myself.

both have drawbacks and advantages. the 346 has plenty of length but does not have windows to feed the lower transfers.

the 242 looks better but does not have a lot of skirt length. so if you set squish it looks like the exhaust will free port.

Latest posts

Back