Husqvarna 555 not listed on Husqvarna web site? Review after being out for ~1 year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good to know, I was concerned about the system.

So just to throw another wrench in the machinery, it's now down to either the 555 or a Stihl 361, which a dealer near me happened to have as new old stock.

Any thoughts on these two?

The 361 is the only Stihl saw I've wanted to own, don't think ya could go wrong there.

But from all reports about the 555, I believe I'd rather have it.

"Remember that the 555 isn't a true pro saw, while the MS361 is. "

The 555 certainly is a true pro saw, if by pro saw you mean that it's constructed of a split magnesium case with quality bearings and a coated cylinder bolted onto the case. It even has Autotune, previously only an expensive option on the 576XP. Only Husqvarna's marketing-speak makes the 555 a non-pro saw.

Either way, it isn't on Husqvarana's US website. Maybe the 555 is a stealth attack on Stihl's marketshare, aimed at the great oversized belly of the MS362.

The 555 certainly is a true pro saw, if by pro saw you mean that it's constructed of a split magnesium case with quality bearings and a coated cylinder bolted onto the case. It even has Autotune, previously only an expensive option on the 576XP. Only Husqvarna's marketing-speak makes the 555 a non-pro saw.

Either way, it isn't on Husqvarana's US website. Maybe the 555 is a stealth attack on Stihl's marketshare, aimed at the great oversized belly of the MS362.

Believe Sawtroll said that because it's not an XP.

The 555 is a pro quality saw, but since it have a lesser (detuned) engine compared to the xp versions, it isn't a true pro saw, imo.

Husky has a long record of creating "semi-pro" saws that way, without reducing the build quality of the saws.

Mdavlee posted a great thread on the 555, a nice unbiased review. I agree with him the 346xpne in stock form is the most overhyped saw on AS. I haven't got the chance to touch a 555, much less run one, but I'd trust Mdavlee's review on it any day. If I had the choice between it an a new MS361 I wouldn't even have to think about it, my 361 has at least 700+ cords sawn with it over four years in a commercial firewood operation, it's never had an issue, I had the muffler off last weekend, the piston still had the machine marks in it and it still has close to 160 lbs of compression. It has been the saw Husky has been trying to emulate for at least five or six years, they may finally have pulled it off with the 562, but no one knows yet. You absolutely can't beat the quality of the MS 361's, look at what they are still bringing in used condition, it is a pro built saw all the way, proven over and over, one of the best saws built irregardless of brand and it's American made. The 555's are finally going to give Husky a competitive saw in the 60cc class, seems it may be a much more of a value for the average firewood cutter than the mythical 562's. If you hadn't brought up the chance of buying a new 361 I'd said buy the 555 and saw away, but I sure couldn't pick a just released saw, over one that has proven itself like the 361 has, in reality you won't be disappointed with either one, they'll both do a great job, dealer support is in all actuality more important than the color of saw you buy.

It looks like I am going with a 361, I have an option to buy a new one for $450.00. However there may or may not be a warranty. This is a saw that was purchased new and then never used. Whether it was registered with Stihl is not known, but I am getting a copy of the original sales receipt.

I am buying it from the original purchaser.

It's a MS 361-Z 3/8" RIM part number 1135-011-3010.

I am obviously going to give this a good looking over before handing over my cash, but assuming it is what has been stated by the seller I think I'm getting a good saw for a good price.

All the pictures I have been sent appear to show the saw as new, it doesn't have a scratch and the original serial number tag is fully intact with no signs of wear or alteration.

Anything I should look for when inspecting it?
Compression test should be about ?????

Thanks for any help.

Sound like a good deal, and the warranty probably won't be needed anyway. Just don't pull more than 3-4 pulls on choke, to avoid flooding. I don't really know what compression to expect, but 150 on a unused saw should usually be good. It will get a bit higher when the saw is run in. Make sure the attachment of the tester is designed for saws.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back