Husqvarna Sticky!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As promised. Pics of the 162SE, it's a pretty clean saw overall.
And also the franken-husky. I pulled the topend and verified it is an open port 48mm cylinder so a 61 Rancher topend on a 272 bottom end. Kind of a weird combo. Not sure what I'll do with it yet. Bottom end feels crunchy but I'll probably end up building something out of it. 20240612_210209.jpg20240612_210131.jpg20240612_210201.jpg20240612_210225.jpg20240612_210238.jpg20240612_210246.jpg20240612_210254.jpg20240612_210302.jpg20240612_210231.jpg

Also, a tip for those of you that mess with the older saws like this 162SE that have the vented caps. The check valve in the cap is the same as a Holley accelerator pump. Theu are readily available and cheap to stop your caps from leaking. Just have to trim the stem a bit shorter.
AED 5472X Accelerator Pump Check Valve, (Pack of 10) https://a.co/d/ba47P1M

Also, a tip for those of you that mess with the older saws like this 162SE that have the vented caps. The check valve in the cap is the same as a Holley accelerator pump. Theu are readily available and cheap to stop your caps from leaking. Just have to trim the stem a bit shorter.
good info on the caps I have a lot of leakers here
Great pics of that clean 162!

Thanks for that tip!! I immediately ordered a set. Can't be beat - $1 a piece.

Thanks for that tip!! I immediately ordered a set. Can't be beat - $1 a piece.
No problem!!! Mine where leaking and couldn't find any info on repairing them, I knew I had seen those check valves somewhere before. There's 30+ years of turning wrenches in my brain It took a little bit of scrolling through the mental rolodex before I realized they go in Holley and Motorcraft carburetors lol.

I have a 455 Rancher in need of a coil. PN on the coil is 544 04 70-03. When I look at some IPL's on line they refer to 544 04 70-01. Are these parts interchangeable and where is the best source for a replacement?

Background - saw was left in storage for some time, when they tried to use it it would only pop once or twice and that was it. Spark looked good so I first thought of fuel and replaced the metering and fuel pump diaphragms & gaskets...no change. Replace the fuel with fresh canned fuel, verify that the fuel filter and fuel line are ok, try a different spark plug...no change. Remove the flywheel to make sure the key it intact and the timing is correct and that checks out O.K.. Pull it down to pressure & vacuum test (slight scoring of the piston on the exhaust side), P&V O.K. Now what??? I had another 455 Rancher in the shop (customer said it "runs rough") so I tried starting that saw and with a little carburetor adjustment it runs just fine. Swap the coils and #1 saw starts and runs fine leading me to a faulty coil that produces spark but evidently the timing is off somehow.

So, back to the coil...recommendations on sourcing a new coil?

Thanks,

Mark

I am working on a Husqvarna 50. I am putting a Hyway closed port 55 topend on it. I have already modded the cylinder to fit the smaller case. I am planning to port it and will likely do a base gasket delete. What are guys doing for the impulse passage when doing a base gasket delete on these? Grind a notch in the deck? The base gasket is cutaway to provide the passage in stock configuration.

I figured I'd share some of what I've been doing. I ended up building the 272xp with 61 topend back to a 272xp and went ahead and ported it. I picked up this 50 Rancher. Ran pretty good but the piston was scored and ring stuck so I am porting a 55 closed port Hyway topend with a popup for it. And then this super ugly 162SE. I bought it for $40, it ran with just a little fresh fuel lol. Gonna build it in to a 61 Practica since I already have a 162SE.
Subscribe to my channel if you haven't already. I hope to start putting up a lot more content and try to get monetized.

Ok, I have a question. I am pulling my hair out tryi.g to get ahold of the right recoil for my 272xp. I was under the impression that there where 2 different recoils, the one with the square sticker on the older 61s, 266s etc. Then the newer one on the 268 and 272. I have gotten 2 different aftermarket recoils, and neither of them are correct. They look right but the hub is too short to engage the starter pawls. I don't have my saw in front of me but it is dated 1997. The one I got yesterday was a farmertec and I crossed the part number from the IPL, it ended up being the same a s the generic one I got from Amazon last week.
Normally I just fix what I have but the housing is all broken and this saw isn't worth a new OE on lol.

I can tell you that the OEM 503102405 pulley is what is used on later 61's and 268's and all 272's. It will have a turret height of 23.3mm. Earlier 268's used pulley 503102403 which had a turret height of 19mm which sounds like what your AM pulleys were based on since they were too short.

As for aftermarket stuff, you get what you pay for.

Back