Hydraulic cylinder question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello men,

New guy here. I've been burning coal for the last 15 or 20 years. Price of coal has turned me to wood burning. Long story short I need to make a splitter. I have a couple of loader arm cylinders off of a tractor loader I'd like to use. Anyone know of a reason not to use them 🤔.

Thanks

Bore, Stroke and Rod size would be your determining factors. My experience with tractor loader cyl are that they usually have a smaller bore which would mean low splitting force and the rod dia is small which means easy to bend, especailly if they are very long. Loader cyl are usally used in pairs, this balances out the force for each side of the loader and increases lift capacity. Not all loaders are created equal, some are a lot bigger than others and could have very big cyl installed. I suggest you measure bore, strok and rod dia and then make your decision if you want to use them.

I don't know what pressure tractor loaders use, but if you intend to use a standard 2-stage log splitter pump that uses 3000psi, make sure your cylinders can handle it.

Back