Hyway 390xp “big-bore” kit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if an entire side of fins is history- you might be safer to aftermarket it. Those fins do perform a task- and they cannot do so if they are missing- mind you, a lot of old saws seem to do just fine with the fins packed full of crap! :p
I have a neighbor, 3 doors down who is a retired aircraft industry welder. He has “made” a fin on a cyl that was still on the saw. Yea, he’s that good.
Broken fins he just welded back on.

Just had to do a little clean-up grinding.
Ms462 that got run over by the owner...brand new saw :p
1000003974.jpg1000004027.jpg

Didnt mean to seem rushed :p. I was just about go into a memorial service for a good friend of 50yrs.
Not really looking for a 385 as those aer 54mm rather than 55. The piston I have is still good.

On an unrelated note...
I have a 455 husky parts saw that I'm about to put on ebay. I'll send the pic spread. I never tried to start it and is missing several parts and some of the plastic is broken.1000004536.jpg

Didnt mean to seem rushed :p. I was just about go into a memorial service for a good friend of 50yrs.
Not really looking for a 385 as those aer 54mm rather than 55. The piston I have is still good.

On an unrelated note...
I have a 455 husky parts saw that I'm about to put on ebay. I'll send the pick spread. I never tried to start it and is missing several parts and some of the plastic is broken.View attachment 1197924

Just did a red and black version of one of these that had a few "issues"

View attachment 455728428_8178314335568576_8731677168717665518_n.mp4

So. My neighbor is going to experiment with fin repair. I cut off a bunch of fins from a trashed cyl that we'll basically cut to fit and weld on. Then just build up any area that needs it, grind the welds flat, grind the edges as needed and see what happens.
The plug hole isn't as bad as we thought...can definitely be inserted. Another tool to add, lol1000005145.jpg1000005149.jpg1000005148.jpg

I guess I have a tendency to look at things in terms of power output as opposed to the amount of money spent. It’s one thing if he just needs a saw to get back running for awhile. But so many of the aftermarket kits lose their plating and none of them ever have the power output of OEM. I don’t know if I mentioned it in this thread or not but Dyno Joe tested the Hiway 372 and it made 75% of the power of the standard bore OEM cylinder. I don’t think I could put money into a 390 knowing that I would intentionally make it run like a 357 or 365. But I do understand the value of making a saw run just to cut wood. So I get it

I was curious on Joe's dyno runs on a 372 oem standard bore v/s standard clone bore, then hyway bb.

Just look at the stock runs without his initials beside to get the numbers.

I was surprised how close clone standard bore and BB was to oem. More torque but hair less hp with clones. :oops: Then ported with his initials beside those.

I have ran both back to back myself and clone was close. Just not as snappy sounding as oem is. ;)

Attachments

• h372oem.jpg
    h372oem.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • c372std.jpg
    c372std.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
  • bb372.jpg
    bb372.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • h372oet.jpg
    h372oet.jpg