I Can"t Wait

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An interesting saw but it will be more interesting to hear how it cuts. I'm a little baffled by the 8000 rpm though, those rotaries wind to twice that. Do you know if it's carb limited or ignition?

An interesting saw but it will be more interesting to hear how it cuts. I'm a little baffled by the 8000 rpm though, those rotaries wind to twice that. Do you know if it's carb limited or ignition?

Before I get carried away with test runs I am going to rebuild the carb it does seem a bit lean on top so before I do any damage I want to inspect the fuel system. 8000 is what the owners manual says I have not put a tach to it yet..

Scott

1976 Larkin Lawnmower in North Reading MA....they had three that came 2 years after the introduction of the Sachs rotary in the Arctic Cats which was also for one year so they made one heck of a jump to make it that far south. The two I sold were left overs due to the problems with the first one. It would refuse to start when very hot and when used below freezing the condensation would make ice crystals inside the case and tear the rotor seals.

But what do I know? I was just a kid then

Before I get carried away with test runs I am going to rebuild the carb it does seem a bit lean on top so before I do any damage I want to inspect the fuel system. 8000 is what the owners manual says I have not put a tach to it yet..

Scott

I'll be huddled by my computer waiting for a full report. :laugh:
Being a rotary, it won't be a fuel sipper! LOL

1976 Larkin Lawnmower in North Reading MA....they had three that came 2 years after the introduction of the Sachs rotary in the Arctic Cats which was also for one year so they made one heck of a jump to make it that far south. The two I sold were left overs due to the problems with the first one. It would refuse to start when very hot and when used below freezing the condensation would make ice crystals inside the case and tear the rotor seals.

But what do I know? I was just a kid then

Like I said Canadian border jumpers.. In 1976 Sachs-Dolmar had no US distribution.

Scott

Larkin also sold several of the wankel lawnmowers that were around in the early 70s which worked quite well and kicked the lawnboys butt for commercial use.

I will have to really squeeze my memory and see if I can remember who used to supply them. It was bundled together with the craze of that time the Sachs mopeds. And parts were a problem then as later with Dolmar as I am sure you know.

Is it possible that there were certain markets that were tested? I don't know

Neat reading I found on the saw and another persons web page of their saw.

(In 1975 Sachs Dolmar of Germany introduced a small Wankel rotary powered chainsaw in the USA. Its 58 cc engine made the chainsaw more powerful than competitors' offerings. At a time when most saw manufacturers were building saws with anti-vibration mountings, Dolmar claimed the KMS4 didn't need them because of the smoothness of its rotary engine.
The saw only sold for about a year before being discontinued. One theory is that due to extreme heat in the exhaust system, it was deemed unsafe to use wherever fire hazards existed. Numerous reports established that the muffler would glow red after cutting for fifteen minutes. Several also stated that when the saw was run at night, flames were observed shooting downward from the muffler. Another theory is that the saw was a gas guzzler, more expensive to run than competitors' saws. A third theory is that the the rotor seals in the saw's wankel engine broke down faster than the piston rings in the conventional engines of competing saws.
The KMS4, although not a rare saw, is highly desired by collectors; sometimes sold at auction for as much as $1500 US dollars. Even non-running parts saws command several hundred dollars.
This saw is a technical marvel. It is smooth and powerful and has a characteristic exhaust signature. At idle its sound resembles that of a vee-8 engine with an extreme racing cam.)

http://www.motorsaegensammler.de/Dolmar-KMS4.htm

Man then look at this guys other saws in his collection, Wow.

http://www.motorsaegensammler.de/Uebersicht.htm

(In 1975 Sachs Dolmar of Germany introduced a small Wankel rotary powered chainsaw in the USA. Its 58 cc engine made the chainsaw more powerful than competitors' offerings. At a time when most saw manufacturers were building saws with anti-vibration mountings, Dolmar claimed the KMS4 didn't need them because of the smoothness of its rotary engine.
The saw only sold for about a year before being discontinued. One theory is that due to extreme heat in the exhaust system, it was deemed unsafe to use wherever fire hazards existed. Numerous reports established that the muffler would glow red after cutting for fifteen minutes. Several also stated that when the saw was run at night, flames were observed shooting downward from the muffler. Another theory is that the saw was a gas guzzler, more expensive to run than competitors' saws. A third theory is that the the rotor seals in the saw's wankel engine broke down faster than the piston rings in the conventional engines of competing saws.
The KMS4, although not a rare saw, is highly desired by collectors; sometimes sold at auction for as much as $1500 US dollars. Even non-running parts saws command several hundred dollars.
This saw is a technical marvel. It is smooth and powerful and has a characteristic exhaust signature. At idle its sound resembles that of a vee-8 engine with an extreme racing cam.)

http://www.motorsaegensammler.de/Dolmar-KMS4.htm

Man then look at this guys other saws in his collection, Wow.

http://www.motorsaegensammler.de/Uebersicht.htm

Thanks for the link. That's all pretty interesting. I wanna hear a saw that sounds like a V8. A one man portable saw that is.:laugh:

Bill G, glad to hear you'll make it again. My Uncle worked for L. W. Meyer, a Dolmar distributor in Wisconsin until Mag power took over. He said most of the saws that are around now were sold by a liquidator who got them from a business that was supposed to destroy them for Dolmar. Instead of being destroyed, the company decided to make some fast money selling the lot to the liquidator. Many Dolmar dealers were caught by surprise when people started showing up with the KMS4 looking for service or parts for a saw the dealer had never seen.
Scott

Well I have her apart doing a wee bit of repair

PICS FROM INSIDE

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Scott

Sounds somewhat like the desciption of a Mazda RX8...:laugh:

Update on the KMS4

Well I still have the KMS4 apart and I had got ahold of George Blake who has some IPL's and a service manual which he is making copies for me:bowdown: :bowdown: I hope to have them by the weeks end. I rebuilt the carb the rubbers were old and worn, I had a slight leak on the intake manifold and gasket. I have that repaired I have the oiler apart the lines were the wrong ones the nipples in the oil pump were made by a previous owner and have the wrong size barbs on them I should be able to dig up nipples from some older Sachs Dolmars I own. Hopefully I will get time to put her back together soon and make a sweet video for ou guys and gals.:chainsawguy:

Scott

Scotty
Is there any way to get a picture of the cylinder and rotor? I've seen pics of the Mazda rotary just like to see the internals of your saw. Is it similar to the Mazda? Do you know what they used for what would be rings in a conventional engine? As youngster that was the weak point with a rotary. Must be careful, I'm dating myself.

Back