Identify a chain - chain nomenclature and types

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw Pete

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Below are two pictures of an Oregon chain that is on my MS311 that I bought as a loop from Bailey's. The drive links have 72 stamped on them, and the depth gage is stamped 25, indicating it should be filed so it is .025 below the cutting edge.

What is this chain? I know the difference between chisel and semi-chisel but looking in Bailey's old print catalog (2016) I don't understand the difference between a chisel and square chisel cutter. Yes they explain in text the difference, but visually I see little or no difference. The 72 chains come with a variety of letter suffixes. What do the letters mean?

I understand that a semi-skip chain will have more widely spaced cutters than a standard chain, and a skip tooth has even fewer cutters on the loop. These increase cutting speed, I'm guessing, because the saw can spin the chain faster? There must be a point of diminishing returns, or we would see chains with only two cutters on them. Is a skip tooth chain the fastest cutting?

I would guess that different species of trees call for different chains. Are there any general rules of thumb for cutting hardwoods (oak, maple) vs softer pine, spruce trees? What would softer deciduous wood like cottonwood require in a chain?

The pro's I've watched seem to just pull their saws off the truck and go to work. Either the chain does not matter so much or they had a heads up on the kind of tree before coming to the job site.

Pics of my chain:
IMG_72002.jpg

IMG_72011.jpg

Oregon website used to have a chart defining all their chain numbers. All 72 chains are 3/8” x .050. 72lgx is full comp chisel round file. 72jgx is chisel skip chain round file. Square chisel is 72CL. 72dpx is semi chisel. If you use 3/8 x .050, then any 72 series chain would work. Personally, i use full comp chisel 72lgx on everything all the time. I cut doug fir, tamarack, birch, white fir, cedar. By far the most popular chain in the PNW. 72jgx skip chisel would be for long bars where you are pushing the power limits of your saw. Slightly slower as there are fewer teeth. It’s not a massive difference. 72dpx is semi chisel and is supposed to stay sharp longer, but cuts slower. I have used it here and there cause i had the chain, but it is slower. I keep my chains out of the dirt and rarely ever need to sharpen it throughout buckin a cord and a half in my truck. Looks like you only have one link between cutters which is full comp. Two links between cutters is skip. More teeth, faster cutting, if your saw can pull it. Raker height plays a big roll as well, but properly sharpening the cutters is a good start for now.

Oregon website used to have a chart defining all their chain numbers. All 72 chains are 3/8” x .050. 72lgx is full comp chisel round file.
Do the letters correspond to words? lgx, jgx, CL, dpx, are these randomly assigned to a specific cutter profile or does each letter have some (hidden) meaning?

It's just the nomenclature they used to identify the chain, really doesn't matter what the specific letters mean, just what it signifies.
Powercut chain. (What your chain falls under.)
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/p...d-guide-bars/c/powercut-sc-p#cmsitem_00022137

Over view of all chain offerings.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/products/forestry/saw-chain-families/c/saw-chain-p
While oregon was my go to for years, their quality has slipped AFAIK, soft cutter in the lgx/jgx chains I got a coupple years ago. Been running the husqy x cut chain, soon will have a coupple loops of laser chain to try out, on the reccomendstion of a trusted member here.

full comp, full chisel same thing. I have not noticed any quality issues with oregon chain unless you buy the crap home depot consumer garbage. The pro oregon chisel chain is still made in the usa and canada

full comp, full chisel same thing.
‘Full comp’ (complement’) refers to cutter sequence: also called ‘Standard’ sequence. . ‘Full chisel’ refers to cutter type.
IMG_4270.png
Chisel Semi Chisel Chipper Cutters.png
‘Chipper’ chain (looks like ‘?’) is essentially obsolete for hand held chainsaws. Full chisel chain (looks like ’7’) cand be round filed/ground or square filed ground.

Each chain company uses its own coding system for identifying cutter size, type, sequence, etc. That information is on each company’s website (STIHL, Oregon, Husqvarna, Carlton, TriLink, Archer, etc.).

A good reference, which will apply to any manufacturer’s chain (in addition to their specific product information), is the ‘Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual’, which is available on line.

Philbert

full comp, full chisel same thing. I have not noticed any quality issues with oregon chain unless you buy the crap home depot consumer garbage. The pro oregon chisel chain is still made in the usa and canada
Then you haven't been doing much sawing. Haven't used it in years since it doesn't hold up. Soft cutter that dull easy, yes in talking about lgx and jgx chain. Logging buddy and a coupple arborist local won't use it anymore either, from the same issued. Most of us switched back to stihl and then husqy when they started making their own chains in house.

Then you haven't been doing much sawing. Haven't used it in years since it doesn't hold up. Soft cutter that dull easy, yes in talking about lgx and jgx chain. Logging buddy and a coupple arborist local won't use it anymore either, from the same issued. Most of us switched back to stihl and then husqy when they started making their own chains in house.
there can be only one…
IMG_0539.jpeg

While it is my favorite, I've found the new husqy x cut chain to have very close performance at a more reasonable price point.
I’ve heard good things about the x-cut chain. Also her it’s hard to resharpen to the original factory geometry. I suppose like most things it takes practice. I’m happy with RS chain and a round file.

Man if that were .050 gauge I would ask very politely if you could make me a couple chains lol. I’ve been looking and can’t find RSK. It’s not listed in the Stihl catalog anymore. Believe it’s been discontinued? Or not for sale in US anymore?
It’s around, just have to search a little,

Latest posts

Back