Identifying Stihl Chainsaw models

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2rod511

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is my first post in over a year. I have never owned a Stihl chain saw however, I was wondering how to designate a pro saw from a residential version. I own a 262xp and a 346xp so I realize that the xp signals pro status for Husqvarna ,but I am not sure how to determine if a Stihl saw is a pro version from the model numbers (might not be possible). I have been making and sharpening chains for people locally for a little while now and I am thinking about trying to start buying some saws floating around here where I live giving them the treatment and trying to turn a profit. I have had limited success at buying and selling a couple of saws lately but being only learned in the ways of Huskys is not the best way to make the best go of it. Thanks in advance for any advice from the chain saw gods.

Hi,

in the past, Stihl used even numbers for pro saws and uneven for the others. The 034 for example is a pro saw. The numbers changed now and the 034 became the 340 -> 341 by now. This is still right for most of the saws, but you have the 181 and that's not a pro saw, but you also have the 650 and that one is a pro saw.

An other way to recognize a pro saw is by the handle (with the throttle), non-pro is completely black/orange/white while the pro saws are always black on top while white below.

Hi,

in the past, Stihl used even numbers for pro saws and uneven for the others. The 034 for example is a pro saw. The numbers changed now and the 034 became the 340 -> 341 by now. This is still right for most of the saws, but you have the 181 and that's not a pro saw, but you also have the 650 and that one is a pro saw.

An other way to recognize a pro saw is by the handle (with the throttle), non-pro is completely black/orange/white while the pro saws are always black on top while white below.

There are more exceptions than just the ones you mentioned. That rule is not reliable, and the "handle color rule" isn't either - lots of exceptions!

There are more exceptions than just the ones you mentioned. That rule is not reliable, and the "handle color rule" isn't either - lots of exceptions!

Yea, my example about the even and uneven numbers was just an example.

I have never seen exceptions on the handle, didn't know that. Thanks for correcting me!

Yep! MS311, and MS391 come to mind. White handles and residential units.

The only indication I know of is the handle collor, but that appears to be changing to a degree...

All black handles are HO models

Orange and black are the mid-grade or farm/ranch saws. Some of the newer mid-grades have all grey (white) handles though (ms311)
CorpMain.png

Grey (white) and black are the pro models
CorpMain.png

On current models the middle number is an inicator

The middle digit on the ms### sequence (last digit on 0## sequence) being an even number is Pro, now obviously the 650 was a pro saw that defeats that logic, and I am sure there are others. Some would say the 024 and 028 were not pro models but they fit all the Pro designation I am aware of on Stihl saws.

Also beware the last digit in the ms### is kind of a version number so the 036 became the ms360 replaced by the ms361 and now ms362.

I am sure others will be along to correct any mis-information I have passed along.

dw

Last edited:
Looks like several beet me to the punch whil I was answering the phone.

Yep! MS311, and MS391 come to mind. White handles and residential units.

All white not the white black split....

ms391
CorpMain.png

dw

On current models the middle number is an inicator

dw

This seems to be true with the exception being the MS180C. But ultimately Saw Troll's advice is best, learn about the saws enough to know the answer without having to have a cheat. If you are going to sell them, you should understand them.

The basic rule is odd/even (+0) but there aren't that many and you can memorize the legends... :D All the big ones are pro. (88,84,66,64,46,44 and a few less common ) For smaller ones you basically have the 20, 26 and 36.

The zero shifted from front to back and you can use it estimate the saws age, saws are more or less the same. Lately the 0 changed to 1, and they're not the same spec saws anymore.

Float around here more and you'll know the inns and outs of every stihl out there, especially the pro ones. :D

Heres a nice list to see whats what. Bill's Saw Shop - Stihl chain saw specifications

This seems to be true with the exception being the MS180C. But ultimately Saw Troll's advice is best, learn about the saws enough to know the answer without having to have a cheat. If you are going to sell them, you should understand them.

Agreed. Also the 192t is billed as a pro "in tree only" saw yet shares everything but the handles w/ the ms192 billed as a HO saw....

No hard rule, but some guidlines. I go by color at the flea markets/swap meets. I don't even stop unless I see a white/black handle :)

dw

Ok I am starting to get a bit confused and coming to realize that experience and knowledge is the best way to identify a saw worthy of flipping. I have a 034av that I bought from a guy last week for next to nothing. The saw looks good but needs to be reringed. Looks like it will be a 200 dollar saw when its finished. Also, I found a 044 for 100 bucks with a no compression. I believe the 044 is a pro saw it is to big for city folk to handle or need to handle. I also have a MS290 that belongs to a man here in town and I have made him a new chain and sanded down the bar. The MS290 is definately newer than the previous two but performs like a turd.

Yea, I think all bets are off on top handles, as by default Stihl claims the are pro saws only...

dw

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I wasn't talking about the MS200T Top Handle saw. I was referring to the MS200 Rear Handle saw.

Tony

....I have a 034av .... I found a 044 .... I also have a MS290

Pro, pro, & farm saw in that order. The 044 is the predecessor to the ms440, real popular 70cc saw should fetch a nice bit of coin, just keep your cost low.

dw

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Agreed. Also the 192t is billed as a pro "in tree only" saw yet shares everything but the handles w/ the ms192 billed as a HO saw....

No hard rule, but some guidlines. I go by color at the flea markets/swap meets. I don't even stop unless I see a white/black handle :)

dw

It is sort of a clue, but the are exceptions, as mentioned earlier...

Pro, pro, & farm saw in that order. The 044 is the predecessor to the ms440, real popular 70cc saw should fetch a nice bit of coin, just keep your cost low.

dw

"Farm saw" or "intermediate" just means a larger consumer saw in newer "Stihl language"....

Latest posts

Back