Best first professional saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1981 I bought a new 028 couple years later a used 041. Was always a break down every truck load. About 1987 I was watching this old guy with a small 42 Husqvarna just making load after load of firewood . I went town and bought a 50 special. That day I found a saw I could cut wood and not break down. About no person finds a one and done saw. The best advice I got just keep buying saws. Make them work for you never mind what is popular. A big question are parts cost and how easy they can be found?
I recently bought a husqvarna 135 mark II and had nothing but problems, when I first used it it got not even 4 hours of work on the engine and already started behaving weird, then I brought it back under warranty and they still charged me even though the repair was a factory issue. They charged me to clean the saw, sharpen the chain and fix it but when I got it back the saw wasn’t clean, the chain wasn’t sharp and it still runs weird so they didn’t even fix it properly. This is the reason I’m looking for stihl now instead of husqvarna, I don’t hold a grudge against husqvarna and in the future might buy another one but right now I just want stihl because I trust them more.

I would say if you want a 462 get a 462 I personally have a 661 and I love it I use it for even the littlest of **** also keep in mind there is husky and there 562 to 592s look pretty cool still yet get what you think you can handle that's just my 2 cents
I cannot imagine using a 661 for limbing a tree or cutting down small trees but I guess that’s just me 😅

I recently bought a husqvarna 135 mark II and had nothing but problems, when I first used it it got not even 4 hours of work on the engine and already started behaving weird, then I brought it back under warranty and they still charged me even though the repair was a factory issue. They charged me to clean the saw, sharpen the chain and fix it but when I got it back the saw wasn’t clean, the chain wasn’t sharp and it still runs weird so they didn’t even fix it properly. This is the reason I’m looking for stihl now instead of husqvarna, I don’t hold a grudge against husqvarna and in the future might buy another one but right now I just want stihl because I trust them more.
That's a bad dealer, nothing to do with the brand of saw. We have loads of stihl and husqy "dealers" around my area but only 2 or 3 I'd ever take a saw to irregardless of brand.

Bigger the saw, longer the bar, less you bend over. My back doesn't like less than a 24", prefers 28".
Amen brother!
One thing to remember OP, if your livelihood depends on the saw, it had better be dependable. And you’ll probably need several of various sizes. Lot of good choices out there. Maybe your local dealer can put you on a payment plan.

Hi,
I am looking to buy a professional chainsaw, I do however have some difficulty deciding because this will be my first ever pro saw. I have been looking at a Stihl ms 462c because I don’t like screwing around with carburettors but I do wanna eventually put a barkbox and some other modifications on it.

The problem is that I don’t know if a 462c is a good first pro saw. The most powerful saw I’ve ran so far is 2.1hp and the 462c has 6 what is quite the jump up. I do however have done up a lot of experience the past 7 months. I have used homeowner saws in a way the technically requires pro saws and thus ive overworked 2 saws already (oops)

I really want a good saw (preferably a Stihl because ive had some trouble with husqvarna and also I got way more Stihl shops around me than husqvarna) the saw also has to be good for falling (mainly smaller trees 30-50cm at the bottom but also well capable for bigger because I do sometimes get some good sized stuff) As well as firewood and bucking. Also I want it to have good aftermarket support because I would love to eventually get into upgrading my own

Hi,
I am looking to buy a professional chainsaw, I do however have some difficulty deciding because this will be my first ever pro saw. I have been looking at a Stihl ms 462c because I don’t like screwing around with carburettors but I do wanna eventually put a barkbox and some other modifications on it.

The problem is that I don’t know if a 462c is a good first pro saw. The most powerful saw I’ve ran so far is 2.1hp and the 462c has 6 what is quite the jump up. I do however have done up a lot of experience the past 7 months. I have used homeowner saws in a way the technically requires pro saws and thus ive overworked 2 saws already (oops)

I really want a good saw (preferably a Stihl because ive had some trouble with husqvarna and also I got way more Stihl shops around me than husqvarna) the saw also has to be good for falling (mainly smaller trees 30-50cm at the bottom but also well capable for bigger because I do sometimes get some good sized stuff) As well as firewood and bucking. Also I want it to have good aftermarket support because I would love to eventually get into upgrading my own saws with stuff like muffler mods, fullwrap handle and some other basic fun stuff.

Age of the saw doesn’t matter to much, I don’t care if its late 80’s early 90’s or just released yesterday.

Anyone any suggestions please?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this through.
I hope you can help me finding a good saw or at least some good advice
My best first professional saw Stihl 038 magnum, bought $200 from original owner. Saw hasn’t been run for 5 years. Put bar oil and fuel in, a few pulls at first, she started and screamed, after that just one/two pull to start. Most reliable saw in my collection. So if you like newer stuff, like everybody said 440 460 is the best way to go, you can do pretty everything with those.

That's a bad dealer, nothing to do with the brand of saw. We have loads of stihl and husqy "dealers" around my area but only 2 or 3 I'd ever take a saw to irregardless of brand.
It’s not just the dealer, it’s also husqvarna (maybe just the Bulgarian husqy office idk) because today I brought the saw back because it still didn’t run properly after the “repair” and now just quit and husqvarna is trying everything not to have to give my money back while that’s against European law. Praktiker Bulgaria and husqvarna Bulgaria are using the European law to wipe their butts of and that’s seemingly all.

Long story short: I still don’t have my money back and that is money that I NEED to have because I can’t have money waisted so I either want a running saw so my money isn’t waisted or I want my money back but they won’t do it

Amen brother!
One thing to remember OP, if your livelihood depends on the saw, it had better be dependable. And you’ll probably need several of various sizes. Lot of good choices out there. Maybe your local dealer can put you on a payment plan.
From the moment I am an arborist I’ll be saving up for some good stuff but now I work for 50 Bulgarian leva a day (about 25 dollars) and I work if I get a good week 3-4 days a week so that’s 100 bucks a week. This doesn’t make even a payment plan possible

It’s not just the dealer, it’s also husqvarna (maybe just the Bulgarian husqy office idk) because today I brought the saw back because it still didn’t run properly after the “repair” and now just quit and husqvarna is trying everything not to have to give my money back while that’s against European law. Praktiker Bulgaria and husqvarna Bulgaria are using the European law to wipe their butts of and that’s seemingly all.

Long story short: I still don’t have my money back and that is money that I NEED to have because I can’t have money waisted so I either want a running saw so my money isn’t waisted or I want my money back but they won’t do it
They are yanking you around because you are young. Not sure how the laws work there, but find out what your legal options are, and what it costs to exercise those options. Take a note pad and an ink pen. Write everything down including names dates and times. Be thorough. If you write it down, make sure they agree that what you've written is what they are trying to communicate. If they ask about the notes, let them know its for the lawyers because it is.

My best first professional saw Stihl 038 magnum, bought $200 from original owner. Saw hasn’t been run for 5 years. Put bar oil and fuel in, a few pulls at first, she started and screamed, after that just one/two pull to start. Most reliable saw in my collection. So if you like newer stuff, like everybody said 440 460 is the best way to go, you can do pretty everything with those.
Got my 038 mag for $75, it's a really good saw just a chunk of powerful lead.
Weighed it next to our 395xp @26lbs with 36" b/c fuel/oil. 038 @22lbs 25" b/c fuel/oil. I'd run it more if it wasn't so damn heavy. I've got a ms390 now that pulls a 25" with no problems, so it's my go to firewood saw now.

They are yanking you around because you are young. Not sure how the laws work there, but find out what your legal options are, and what it costs to exercise those options. Take a note pad and an ink pen. Write everything down including names dates and times. Be thorough. If you write it down, make sure they agree that what you've written is what they are trying to communicate. If they ask about the notes, let them know its for the lawyers because it is.
I am now awaiting to see if I get my money back, if not I’m gonna see what legal options I have, 570 Bulgarian leva is quite a lot to me that I can’t miss

I am now awaiting to see if I get my money back, if not I’m gonna see what legal options I have, 570 Bulgarian leva is quite a lot to me that I can’t miss
One one hand, that's actually a pretty cheap education. On the other hand, if its an education, you might as well learn all you can from it ;)

Back