Is a winch on a chipper worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClimberBusinessman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Giant G1200 TELE with a power-rotating grapple. Currently we still haul brush and logs in a 16' long, 14k rated (9500 pound capacity) dump trailer. Not the most efficient setup in terms of the number of loads of brush we're hauling. I'm thinking of getting a wood chipper some point in the future, and have thought about a 15-18" chipper, and it needs to be below 10,000 pounds as it would be towed behind a chipper truck (I'd need to get one), and and I'm trying to keep things under-CDL. I don't want the discussion to turn into a lengthy debate on what I can and can't do under CDL. I did contact my state DMV and they had someone, probably their legal counsel, email me back (took them at least a couple months) and said I could legally drive a 10,000 pound chipper behind a 26,0000 GVWR chipper truck, and that would be under CDL and could be done with a regular license.

I contacted Morbark, Bandit, and Carlton. For Morbark, their new 19" chipper, the BVR 19, with the diesel, you can only stay under 10,000 pounds if you forgo the winch. With Carlton, you're limited to a 15" chipper with a diesel to stay under 10,000. With Bandit, with their 18xp, if you have the winch and the 174hp diesel, it puts it above 10,000, unless you go with the smaller diesel (I believe it's 139hp) or the 165 HP Ford Gas, or the 174hp diesel in the 15xp chipper.

Here's the questions:

1. Would you guys rather have a gas engine or a smaller diesel engine and a winch, or no winch and a bigger diesel engine?
2. The other, possibly cheaper option is go big diesel engine (174hp) but smaller chipper, like the Bandit 15xp, or the Morbark BVR16, or the Carlton 2015. In that case, I believe you could do a winch in those configurations and have it be under 10,000 pounds.

Which of these would you do, given the weight restrictions? What would be the best on a day-to-day basis? We do probably 60-70% removals and 30-40% pruning work, but currently no crane work.

Latest posts

Back