Is it just me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info Huskyman

The type of chain that it was set up with is Stihl .325. But it's some sort of anti-kickback chain cause it has an extra "rake tooth' ( I am not too smart on terminology) on the link between teeth.

What are the advantages to a 3/8 chain? I assume the drive sprockets are interchangable on the drive shaft.

Thats about all I know, I will continue to read more of these posting to learn about the differences between chain types. If you have any advice I'd appreciate it.

Frank

Dont switch the 55 over to 3/8. All you will do is make more vibration and lose rpms. Dump that junk Stihl chain and put the 34LG on you will be happy. This saw needs .325 to keep the rpms up

fpangie,
Many years ago when I first got my 038Magnum, it came with 'safety' chain. The master link was painted green (Stihl chain). Didn't cut for poop after a few sharpenings, even lowering the rakers. I swiched to the Stihl chain with a 'yellow' master link, I'm not too familiar with the terminology either. I preferred the chisel chain over the rounded chain. Profile of the cutters looks more like a '7' as opposed to a '?' That saw RIPPED!!:blob2:

So if your local dealer stocks mostly Stihl chain, try the yellow link chain. Most dealers will automatically give you the safety chain unless you ask for the non-safety chain specifically. More kickback potential, but WAY more aggressive.:D

Hi Frank, the 55 will do just fine with the 3/8 chain, but I wouldnt put such a long bar on it. A 16" bar will do everything you want it to do. If you want to use a 20" bar then get a 372, but if you are one of the Rocky Mountain Boys you will want a 36"er on the 55.
Sawedoff Sam

100 stihls boy what a giant pile that has to be. i will pick up a homeltie before i pick up my dad's stihl. and it is a 032. i don't know none of the stihls i have ever used i have not had good luck with them. maybe it is just the saws or the fact that i got spoiled on the homelites that run like bears.

Sonny,

I would certainly like to take one of those 100 off your hands if you cant take them with you. I suppose Ebay is the place your going with them though? I know that all the Stihl brothers share in your pain of having to let your babies go.

confused

never gave e-bay a thought. have not been there, but 1 or 2 times. I am going to move to a store front. Many things have to go . trucks, limb loppers etc. had 40 + crews working at 1 time. now no employes. I just dont know what to do with it all.

Originally posted by sonny
I just dont know what to do with it all.

Are you kidding? "Have you met Sonny? He's my new best friend.":D

I think very soon you are going to be a VERY popular guy on this site.

Sonny, let me know if you have any old Homelites you can't drag along. I'd be happy to help you out there. :)

Sonny, let me know if you have any non running Stihl,Husky or Jonsered saws that you want to sell.I am always looking for parts saws.
Thanks
Dan

Ive got an idea. We will all go to SoCal and fight over Sonny's pile. I caould fit a lot of saws in the back of my 1 ton p/u!:D

ITs California HuskyMan,

Dont we remember the plight of Rondey King and the LAPD "Can't we all just get along" anyways Sonny why the move? No business or what? Just curious. Other than sonny best of luck.

confused

Latest posts

Back