Is it worth getting a Furnace or settel with a Stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you keep your house at all the same temps you do now, if you were heating with the oil furnace & someone was giving you all the oil you wanted for free?
No, I'd sell the oil and keep doing what I'm doing now.

Our house doesn't stay absolutely constant all over all the time. Our bedrooms are couple degrees cooler for sleeping - but there is no way in heck they would get down to the mid-50's, that is far from comfortable getting out of bed into.
Again, what is comfortable is largely a function of expectations and what you are used to. To me it is simply no big deal - there's no rushing around while getting dressed or anything.

Our house doesn't stay absolutely constant all over all the time. Our bedrooms are couple degrees cooler for sleeping...
Yeah, normally our bedrooms are a little cooler also if the doors are closed (no return air in them and they all have one or two outside walls). If the doors are left open the temperature will equalize with the rest of the house. A little cooler for sleeping is more comfortable, and I accomplished that with a programmable thermostat... but bedrooms into the 50's by morning would not be acceptable in my house. Not to mention the amount of time and wood consumed for temperature recovery in the house.

The thermostat drops to 67° at night, which puts the bedrooms right around 65-66° if the door is closed... the thermostat jumps back up to 70° at 5:30 AM, which means the closed bedrooms are around 68-69° when the family starts rollin' out. My daughter doesn't like her bedroom quite as cool for sleeping, she leaves her door open most of the time. If the bedrooms dropped into the 50's they wouldn't crawl out from under those blankets until noon :laughing:

...what is comfortable is largely a function of expectations and what you are used to.
Hmmmm...... maybe.
Most everyone I know living in this modern age (in my universe) expect their home to be climate controlled... i.e., relatively constant temperature and humidity throughout the home, hour-to-hour, day-to-day, season-to-season. That's what most everyone I know (in my universe) is used to, and find the most comfortable. Personally, I don't see any reason there should be a compromise when heating with wood... wood is just another heating fuel, and there's all sorts of wood fired appliances in this day and age that provide an uncompromising solution. In my mind a free standing stove (for whole home and/or primary heat) is a step back in time...

Yeah, I know... bias ply tires are a step back also.
But here's the thing...
The tires (on my pickup) may be a step back, but the pickup ain't... it's a "modern" vehicle, I have the advantages of the modern comforts and conveniences associated with it.
Well, my heating with wood fuel may be a step back, but the appliance ain't... it's a "modern" appliance, I have the advantages of the modern comforts and conveniences associated with it.
The reality is... it's only natural to have the "expectation" of those modern comforts and conveniences in the year 2015... at least it is for the people who live in my universe.

I have decided on an option. I'm. It going to get a stove, or a furnace. As much as I wanted to heat with wood, it not justifiable because of cost. It would take too long to see just returns on our investment and it being a small house, I don't want to be heated out of the house every time I turn on the stove. I would need a new water heater because it already vents into the chimney I planned on using. We (my wife and I) decided we will just turn up the thermostat when we are cold and invest the money elsewhere in the house.

We don't want to stay here too long and are planing on building a house someday. Then it will be for sure be wood heat. (Indoor or outdoor I don't know). Probably outdoor.

(sorry I cant do the quote thing, copy and paste is the best i got)
Whitespider said.
A little cooler for sleeping is more comfortable, and I accomplished that with a programmable thermostat...

Then he said..
and everything works, even the silly push-button transfer case and all the fluffy stuff.

So should I surmise that gadgetry is OK only if YOU want it? Seems from many other posts across this forum that most of us are pretty silly for even looking at gadgets....

Your gonna buy a moisture meter next aren't ya? I'm sure yours would be better if wikipedia says it is.

No the copy and paste thing is me. I cant figure out how to quote. (haven't tried real hard either)

No I was just pokin spidey..

Sorry just in a mood tonight i guess..
It happens... I know.

Your gonna buy a moisture meter next aren't ya? I'm sure yours would be better if wikipedia says it is.
I think he's saying WS researches his posts on wiki and copy/pastes stuff here and passes it off as his opinion.
Naw, I ain't gonna' buy one... I could see a well-intentioned relative givin' me one as a Christmas gift.
But I'll promise you Wikipedia is the last source of information I'd trust (and I'd certainly never quote it), although I occasionally use the references listed at the end of an article as a place to begin my own research. Wiki, whether correct or incorrect, tends to take a bias slant on things... especially things of controversial content. Now I understand bias... I'm bias in many things and fully admit it... but something claiming to be purely informational should not be. I supposed that's to be expected considerin' anyone and everyone can contribute to it...

It happens... I know.

Naw, I ain't gonna' buy one... I could see a well-intentioned relative givin' me one as a Christmas gift.
But I'll promise you Wikipedia is the last source of information I'd trust (and I'd certainly never quote it), although I occasionally use the references listed at the end of an article as a place to begin my own research. Wiki, whether correct or incorrect, tends to take a bias slant on things... especially things of controversial content. Now I understand bias... I'm bias in many things and fully admit it... but something claiming to be purely informational should not be. I supposed that's to be expected considerin' anyone and everyone can contribute to it...

Geez WS, you sick? A whole paragraph about the progressive/liberals think tank web site and you never even mentioned it. I'm starting to think you must of had a big bottle of mello out today for breakfast.

sorry, couldn't pass it up, I hate the Wiki site...

I have my wood stove in my duct work in my basement. There is an air handler and thermostat dedicated to the wood stove. Been very pleased with the results.....been in over 25 years.

Back