is this a ball hone ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn RH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is this a ball hone that is recommended for chainsaw cylinder cleanup? I have a 47mm cylinder so will a 48mm hone be ok. Should I run the new hone against something to "break it in". What lube is used with it? Any other honeing tips

Is this a ball hone that is recommended for chainsaw cylinder cleanup? I have a 47mm cylinder so will a 48mm hone be ok. Should I run the new hone against something to "break it in". What lube is used with it? Any other honeing tips

I had some of the same questions you have a while back and did a search here on AS using words like 'flex hone' (same as ball hone) and 'ball hone'. You'll find lots of info. I did find that some members recommend going 10% bigger than your cylinder bore when selecting a hone size. Some members recommend using 320 grit, and some recommend wearing down the hone a little.

Where did you find the link to the ball hone you posted?

Kevin

That is the correct ball hone and will work with your 47mm cylinder fine. They are already slightly oversized. Dip/soak the ball hone in a very light oil to coat all the balls completely before use. I give mine a short "break in" in an old cylinder or or water pipe - they are very aggressive when new.

These 320 grit hones are the best and give a factory finish if used correctly. I use mine at about 850-1000 rpm and 1/2 second per vertical movement.

I use a 20wt oil for honing. Seems to work fine.

You can get them though J&L Supply.

Last edited:
one thing to watch for with a ball hone is to NOT stop moving the hone up and down in the cylinder bore. If you pause while the hone is turning, you can create high and low spots. Keep er moving up and down, fairly quickly.

Hones

BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE, WITH TWO CYCLE ENGINE DEVELOPMENT, MODIFICATION/ REBUILDING, (LOTS OF IT) I RECOMEND MATCHING YOUR HONES GRIT# TO THE APPLICATION YOUR TRYING TO ACHIEVE, DEGLAZE/ REMOVE SCUFFS ECT. DONT FORGET ACID CAREFULLY PLACED IN A CYLENDER . (AND MONITORED) SHOULD BE USED TO REMOVE ANY HEAVILY BONDED ALUMINUM MATERIAL. BEFOR ANY HONING TAKES PLACE. PERSONALLY I SUBMERGE IN CLEAN MINERAL SPIRITS ONLY, CLEAN PART ONLY, 1ST AND FOLLOW UP WITH FINISH HONE 2ND IN CLEAN ATF FLUID FOR FINAL FINISH. USE CAUTION MONITORING YOUR DRILLS RPM AS TO MANY PEOPLE HONE TO FAST OR JUST AS IMPORTANTLY TO LONG . NOT MONITORING THE RESULT AS THEY GO ! JUST AS IMPORTANTLY YOU NEED TO KNOW IF YOUR HONING IRON OR NIKASIL OR COMMONGLY REFERED TO AS CHROME BORE! THE GRIT # HONES YOU USE ARE IMPORTANT AS WELL . NOT ALL CYLENDER PLATING IS THE SAME SOME BRANDS ARE CYGNIFICANTLY THICKER AND HARDER THAN OTHORS. THE MAIN THING TO REMEMBER IS YOU CAN RUIN A CYLENDERS GEOMETRY IN A HURRY WITH IMPROPER HONING! SOME CYLENDER S (NIKASIL) CAN BE WASHED IN CLEAN SPIRITS USING VERY FINE STEEL WHOOL AS A MEANS OF SCRUBBING. THEM DEPENDING ON CYLENDER TO PISTON SKIRT CLEARENCE.(ARE BETTER LEFT ALONE) RE RINGING THEM WITHOUT HONING.IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MEANS OF MEASURING THIS SORT OF THING SEEK HELP FROM A QUALIFIED SHOP (MACHINE) THAT CAN ASSIST YOU,THE AMOUNT OF WEAR IN YOUR PARTICULAR CYLENDER AND TYPE HAS EVERY THING TO DO WITH WHAT I HAVE MENTIONED ABOVE. AS FAR AS A QUALITY JOB GOES. ALSO TAKE NOTE ARE YOU JUST RE RINGING A GOOD USABLE PISTON OR REPLACING BOTH. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU (BRM) BRUSH RESEARCH MANUFACTURING ,:rock: IS MY HONE USER OF CHOICE>

Good info, franky, and welcome to AS!

But do us all a favor, please? Ditch THE ALL CAPS WRITING. That's considered SHOUTING on the Internet. Besides, it's hard on the eyes. Not good.

:cheers:

Ball Hones

We are working with the manufacturer to get these in our catalog in June. We already have the part numbers in our system and hope to offer them at a fair price. We will be stocking the 320 grit aluminum oxide hones. Our first large order will not be in until the middle of May however, so we will not be advertising them on our website until they arrive. We have used them for years in our shop here with good results when used properly.

Nik Bailey

We are working with the manufacturer to get these in our catalog in June. We already have the part numbers in our system and hope to offer them at a fair price. We will be stocking the 320 grit aluminum oxide hones. Our first large order will not be in until the middle of May however, so we will not be advertising them on our website until they arrive. We have used them for years in our shop here with good results when used properly.

Nik Bailey

That's great to hear! I have been wanting to get one for my 044 and have just kept putting it off and buying other parts. I had found a 240 grit 2 1/8" flex hone at an ebay store, but am really wanting the 320 grit. Is 2 1/8" one of the sizes you'll be stocking?

If I understand you correctly, they won't be available before June 1 of this year? I wanted to add one, if you would have the size I need, to my next order...but I want to buy some stuff while the sale is still on.

Kevin

apparently the company that makes these hones doesnt sell them
J+L Supply didnt have the size I need (I looked thru 52 pages and might have missed it)

I found one here
http://www.newmantools.com/price/fhpr.html

And it cost over 130$$$

I will look more later

later : ahhh success
http://www.mcmaster.com/

The exact size isn't as important as you may think.. J&L has a big listing of Flex hones, from tiny (4mm!!!!) to huge... I think I paid $30-45 for mine. You cam get away with the cheaper 180 grit brake hones for many jobs - about $20.

Last edited:
looks like good tool site

McmastersCarr offers flex-hones in sizes 4mm to 16 inches, grit size up to 600 and an easy to navigate website. Ill give it a shot tomorrow. I dont think i can wait for Bailys

You can order them direct from brush research

apparently the company that makes these hones doesnt sell them
J+L Supply didnt have the size I need (I looked thru 52 pages and might have missed it)

I found one here
http://www.newmantools.com/price/fhpr.html

And it cost over 130$$$

I will look more later

later : ahhh success
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Or if you would rather J&L ,,,,,if you dont see the see you want on the website call the 800 # @ J&L and they will get you what you need,,,,

I have used marvel mystery oil before and just day before yesterday,,, cleaned up an 066 cyl using the fluid in the parts washer it really worked well,,,,I thinks it is varsol,,,, I just keep it moving between 300 & 600 rpm and oscsilate as I spin and spin on the way out,,,,,,,,

good luck!!!!!

River

As of yesterday I noticed that they (pixelman) have aluminum oxide flex-hones, but they don't have them in the 320 grit for the 2 1/8" size. I did see that mcmaster-carr and travers have them, but I don't know if they're aluminum oxide. I can wait to see what Bailey's offers.

Kevin

I wouldn't try to save a few $ by using the Aluminium oxide versions... Get the Silicon Carbide.

Here's the page from J&L supply - You need to use their "virtual catalog", not the on-line listings..

http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/jlind...e&jsessionid=A2VCK5OJQ3JMVLAUBIWSFEVMCQFCYIV0

a snap of the page:
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back