is this a ball hone ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One mistake people make when they have a cylinder that has "galling" (piston residue left on the cylinder wall) is to try and "hone" it off. A ball hone in most cases isn't going to remove all the residue. I'd highly recommend using some elbow grease and some emery cloth along with a good cutting oil first, and then following up with your ball hone.

acid

I plan on using acid to remove residue before honeing

McMaster site says Silicon Carbide for grit not Aluminum Oxide
and mcmaster looks cheaper than J+L (not much though )

glenn also be sure to file any sharp port radious , after your hone job! this is very important with iron bore , they tend to be sharper, (edges) of ports, a good set of diamond files will pay for themselves quickly.carfull wile champfering the ports not to stab your fresh hone job,( proto tool):rock: is a good source i deal with them for all my porting tool needs, good luck

One thing you all have to remember regarding cylinder hones.A ball type or shoe type only "cleans" up the cylinder.It does not correct for ovality or taper in a cylinder.Either one of these factors is a moot point on either a nicosil or chrome cylinder but not on an iron cylinder.

The only way to correctly hone a cylinder to correct ovality etc. is with a precision hone.

The lubricant used in honing is simpley to keep the stones,ball,shoe or precision,clean of grinding dust which clogs them and hinders the proper cutting action.As per US auto makers,I use kerosine.In the manufacturing secter they use a fire retardant in the honing oil.In my case,I do not.

One thing you all have to remember regarding cylinder hones.A ball type or shoe type only "cleans" up the cylinder.It does not correct for ovality or taper in a cylinder.Either one of these factors is a moot point on either a nicosil or chrome cylinder but not on an iron cylinder.

Understood. That's what I'm expecting to do...to "clean" up my cylinder.

Kevin

Back