It's here! The M-Tronic MS261C is finally here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There will be a STIHL booth at the Minnesota State Fair this week.

I will ask about this saw.

Bet a Pronto Pup that I will get a blank stare.

I just don't know if the information does not get filtered down fast enough, or if that is their way of saying, "Yeah, we know about it, but our regional distributor is not stocking it yet, so we are pretending to be uninformed"

A.S. keeps its members on the cutting edge of chainsaws ! (I think that is a good thing, right?)

Philbert

Good News / Bad News

Good news: I should have the saw tomorrow.

Bad news: This will be the only one for now in this area.

My dealer was told Friday that the saw was available. He tried to order it this morning and it wasn't in the system. So, he called up the distributor. They tried to tell him he couldn't have it. Fortunately, he was able to get them to ship this one saw. Bottom line, no more will be sold until all regular MS261 saws are sold, which is standard Stihl practice.

My price on this saw is $59 more than the old saw. I don't know what list price is.

There will be a STIHL booth at the Minnesota State Fair this week.

I will ask about this saw.

Bet a Pronto Pup that I will get a blank stare.

I just don't know if the information does not get filtered down fast enough, or if that is their way of saying, "Yeah, we know about it, but our regional distributor is not stocking it yet, so we are pretending to be uninformed"

A.S. keeps its members on the cutting edge of chainsaws ! (I think that is a good thing, right?)

Philbert

Ask him about this:

Stihl MS 661 - Bilder • Motorsägen-Portal

My price on this saw is $59 more than the old saw. I don't know what list price is.

I guess it's different between the distributors, for us it's a $30 difference. ms 261 16" dsrp is 549.95, cm 16" is 579.95.

Good news: I should have the saw tomorrow.

Bad news: This will be the only one for now in this area. Bottom line, no more will be sold until all regular MS261 saws are sold, which is standard Stihl practice.
Hmm...are they going to do any "close out" pricing on the existing 261s? How long before average joes can get the M version?

Hurry in guys, Stihl always does a year end or first of the year price increase. Least that has been my experience.

Brad is very correct on the availability in this region :) There actually could be a few months wait if the warehouse has much inventory still sitting there. Thanks Brad and your Dealer for making this one available.

Why do I think Stihl and Bryan Equipment will be watching this thread? :wink2:

Hurry in guys, Stihl always does a year end or first of the year price increase. Least that has been my experience.

Brad is very correct on the availability in this region :) There actually could be a few months wait if the warehouse has much inventory still sitting there. Thanks Brad and your Dealer for making this one available.

Why do I think Stihl and Bryan Equipment will be watching this thread? :wink2:

I can't wait forever,,,LOL. Guess I will take the 550xp.:chainsaw:

Anyone think that Stihl is just "playing" a marketing game by making the item more desirable with a fabricated "this item is hard to get" hype.

A lot of people will want what they can't have and will pay extra to get it too.
:confused:

Bottom line, no more will be sold until all regular MS261 saws are sold, which is standard Stihl practice.

Well that's a bunch of crap. :( I'm glad they don't sell automobiles otherwise they'd be out of business.

I guess it's different between the distributors, for us it's a $30 difference. ms 261 16" dsrp is 549.95, cm 16" is 579.95.

Hmm...are they going to do any "close out" pricing on the existing 261s? How long before average joes can get the M version?

I seriously doubt that there's going to be any kind of sale to clear out the current MS261 inventory. As far as the price difference, I can only tell you what I was quoted. There is no markup on the saw on my end. The price you quoted for the MS261C is what I was quoted. I pay less than your price for the MS261, $30 less. Then there's tax on top of that.

Well that's a bunch of crap. :( I'm glad they don't sell automobiles otherwise they'd be out of business.

I will explain to my dealer, that if they won't sell more, they're not going to make up for those sales in regular 261 sales. They're lost sales, plain and simple. Maybe the distributor will work with us, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Anyone think that Stihl is just "playing" a marketing game by making the item more desirable with a fabricated "this item is hard to get" hype.

A lot of people will want what they can't have and will pay extra to get it too.
:confused:

I hardly think so. This doesn't help their sales. If anything, it hurts them. It is what it is. They don't have to sell them until they want to. Honestly, it makes sense to clear out the existing inventory first. Us CAD addicts are in the 1% club:cheers:

...There actually could be a few months wait if the warehouse has much inventory still sitting there. ...

My local Stihl dealer was selling the 260 as the "current" 50cc saw until late last year. Around these parts, we should see the new 261 in 2016 or there abouts, IF we're lucky!! :bang:

Hey, at least we now have touch-tone phones!! :msp_w00t: I hear that there's this new "wireless" service coming soon to our area. What the heck is that?!?

Doug

(You guys know that the only reason for the 'C-M' version is so that the NSA can track your chainsaw use, right ? The next step will be to start registering your saws . . . .)
Yea, but the upside is that my smart-saw can communicate with my smart phone and my smart tv so that I always know what my A/F ratio and RPMs are.

Big brother loves us...

(You guys know that the only reason for the 'C-M' version is so that the NSA can track your chainsaw use, right ? The next step will be to start registering your saws . . . .)

Maybe Big Gov will put a limit on the size (capacity) of chains we can run too.
A license to use and a waiting period to buy might be a good thing too.:rolleyes2:

I keep my saws near my bed. That way I can implement the "Castle Doctrine" if need be.
:chainsaw:

...Bad news ... no more will be sold until all regular MS261 saws are sold, which is standard Stihl practice...

Seems like Husqvarna might be better suited for those who use the latest technology, while Stihl isn't losing any sleep by selling to the latest proven technology crowd. The current 261 isn't exactly chopped liver.

Last edited:
Back