kd hotsaw......SKUNKWORKS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
last one

Here is a pic of the cant just hitting the ground. Hey Ken thanks again for all the time you spent on my saw. It rocks!!! Now I just have to practice filing with the two files you sent. WOW does that square filed chain cut!! Can't even imagine a full race chain.
Can't wait to see Seth's 088kd Piped
Steve

Steve Melzers 088 KD woods saw

Steve
You are one hell of a nice guy thanks again for letting me drill your 088KD(very fast ) and Ken Dunn your (semi race) chain is as fast as my race chain. Ken is one of the best saw builders here in the US,any of you ab site members want a wood saw treatment you can't go wrong for$300 bones .The cuts where not a average.
Ken my 044's chain with the gullet dremiled out and top plate touched with the oberg file was really fast but last night after to many Miller Lites I took the rackers down a couple thousandas down to far and today I could not keep it in the R,s.And my 084 had a couple of very good cuts

Steve
Don't fool'em Steve, you where fast in and out of the cuts I am sorry for my lack of digital photoypography work,anyway Steve I was so pumped after running your 088KD, that I forgot to give you some goodies I will send them to you this week. Seth

Nice work, guys. Just to give you a reference point from the world record holder, Jerry Gingras, I videoed his cuts in an 8 X 8 cant (don't know what type of wood), then reviewed the tape. He did a dead start with three cuts, blew the last cut and still ran 3.31 seconds. I was also able to time his individual cuts from when the saw hit the cant until the piece fell free. First downcut: 0.462 seconds, upcut: 0.500 seconds, last downcut: 0.880 seconds. His world record time in this event is 2.52 seconds. Understand that he's running a stroked 3120 on alcohol with a little nitro thrown in for good measure. Ken thinks he's probably right around 30 HP. When you're not doing big west coast logs, you can really pump up the saw.

Here's a frame from the video I shot of Jerry last Thursday at the Deerfield fair. This is the third cut which he almost stalled in half way through, so it was slower from before this point in time. Even so, notice that the upcut piece hasn't even settled on the ground yet. I'm told that when he's under 3 seconds he literally has two pieces in midair at once.

Latest posts

Back