Koller Yarder on Steep Ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here are a few pics from last week of our Koller yarder thinning eucs near Oakland CA. The yarder is ancient and a bit beat up but the Detroit in it runs well and everything works OK. The skyline didn't have much angle to it so this made using the mechanical-hydraulic carriage a pain but we got through it. This job will last 3 weeks or so. The area is where the Oakland Hills Fire burned in 1993 and the landowner wants the gum trees thinned and eventually removed entirely and the hills replanted an native vegetation. There is a steep drop from where the trees are to a major 2 lane road so all the trees have to be felled across the slope to keep them from sliding down hill. The falling part scares me to no end. The trees are small, maybe up to 18-20" DBH, but mostly in the 6"-14" range. They are also tall, around 80'-100', and the tops are braided together. Lots of hangers too.

The mornings are foggy and cool. The fog drip is like rain,
Brand010.jpg

The yarder sits at the top of a saddle and the skyline runs across the slope we are cutting. There are many sensitive plant communities so yarder placement was up to the botanist.
Brand031.jpg

The skyline was only about 20' above ground in some locations. This was across a swale.
Brand030.jpg

It works better than it looks.
Brand026.jpg

Brand025.jpg

The carriage up close.
Brand021.jpg

Uhmm. I guess we ran out of duck tape.
Brand024.jpg

The ground. Pretty steep and lots of poison oak.
Brand019.jpg

Did you use a tail tree? Or was the line hung off a stump? And what kind of trees did you have to use for a tailhold? Was the botanist better than the judge we had, at logging systems? :) I have been pretty impressed by the Koller that worked up here. They put a tube extension on it. Here it is.
attachment.php

got a K-300 also

I love mine. Most guys make fun of it until it starts yarding logs. Then they're amazed. Best turn I ever had on mine was a 32ft x 19in sugar pine log, fully suspended over a draw. Another plus for this machine is you'd be hard pressed to burn 10 gal. of diesel a day. Mines got a 4 cylinder Perkins. Now if I could just find some work for it...?

Great pix Two Dogs!

Thought I was only one working in the pea soup! Really cool little machine too! :clap:

Did you use a tail tree? Or was the line hung off a stump? And what kind of trees did you have to use for a tailhold? Was the botanist better than the judge we had, at logging systems? :) I have been pretty impressed by the Koller that worked up here. They put a tube extension on it. Here it is.
attachment.php

We used a eucalytus about 18" DBH as the tail tree. It swayed a little each time the skyline was tightened but that was about it.

I dont work in logging, but that little yarder reminds me of a machine we call a slusher in the mining industry. instead of pulling logs, it pulls a small scraper bucket around using a series of cable blocks secured to the walls with eyebolts. its a pretty haywire operation. seems to have alot in common with yarding... but the slushers are pneumatic and are pretty much one of the loudest machines known to man.

I found a couple pictures on a historic mining site

photo190.jpg

photo206.jpg

photo207.jpg

What do ya'll use for clearign the chute under the Koller? Same for merchandising, decking, and loading?

I don't suppose you did a eucalyptus clearcut for the Golden Gate Nat. Rec. Area about 2001?

I like all the pictures and posts, thanks. Looks like plenty of work at that camp!

Back