Last question on my 044 build...hopefully

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can always take a millimeter from the squish and base if he wants some more lol
The vast majority of these saws will never see a thousand operating hours after a rebuild, I had one come back recently, rebuilt back around 008 and used constantly in a woodyard bucking hardwood firewood species, it needed a new P&C this time round, got new airfilter ,fuel line and fuel filter just because. It is back to work again looking its age but the new owner don`t care about looks, he put a new 20" bar and chain on it and went to cutting. He wants me to build him another 044 to replace this one with just in case the old one gives up the ghost in the next year or so.

I remember fitting rings on V-8 car builds. Seemed like it took a week.......all of them needed filing
OEM Stihl rings have not needed filing for about 4 years now,my older stock going back into the 80`s often did, when I need a set of rings I can go to my stash and as the old stuff gets used up they are replaced with new stock. I have rings from the early 80`s that were as tight as .005 in a new cylinder. Newer rings are around .008 - .009 . for the ones I have been getting.

OEM Stihl rings have not needed filing for about 4 years now,my older stock going back into the 80`s often did, when I need a set of rings I can go to my stash and as the old stuff gets used up they are replaced with new stock. I have rings from the early 80`s that were as tight as .005 in a new cylinder. Newer rings are around .008 - .009 . for the ones I have been getting.
So the saw is all back together and fired right up, ran for 30 minutes and a couple of issues with the idle that I hope to tune out.

Done a compression just to get a base line and It's still about 130-135 psi, I know that will rise a bit when the rings are seated but after a ring gap of .012 I presume the cylinder is fairly worn and will need replacing at some point?

Idle is a strange one, will idle for a while at 3200rpm then randomly idle right down almost stalling the saw then come back up again, rpm increases slightly if i turn it clutch side up, It has had a Walbro carb kit put on it as well.

So the saw is all back together and fired right up, ran for 30 minutes and a couple of issues with the idle that I hope to tune out.

Done a compression just to get a base line and It's still about 130-135 psi, I know that will rise a bit when the rings are seated but after a ring gap of .012 I presume the cylinder is fairly worn and will need replacing at some point?

Idle is a strange one, will idle for a while at 3200rpm then randomly idle right down almost stalling the saw then come back up again, rpm increases slightly if i turn it clutch side up, It has had a Walbro carb kit put on it as well.
I would suspect the cylinder is worn a good bit a missing .002 or so over ones I have had experience with. I have brand new old stock angle fin cylinders and same 12 mm cylinders I try rings in those during every rebuild just to check ring gap in a new unused cylinder, gaps are right around .008 - .009 on them.

Back