lawn service tore bark off swamp white oak how to treat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoosier

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have what was yesterday morning a very healthy five(ish) year old swamp white oak in my backyard that has been damaged buy a lawn tractor. I tore about a third of the bark off the base of tree. Is tree salvagable and how do I treat this - cut away the damaged bark or let the tree do what it will. The tear extends a bit below dirt level. I live in eastern Indiana. Any advice is welcomed.
Thanks. Chip
20240531_120612.jpg20240531_115002.jpg20240531_120606.jpg

again, any advice will be appreciated. I don't know whether to just cut it down or try to let it try to survive. If I cut away the bark separated from the trunk will the bark be able to grow and seal this big of a wound?

This method works for smaller wounds. Step one, clean the wound out with water. Step 2, carefully press the bark pieces back into place so they cover the wound. Step 3, wrap duct tape around the tree trunk tightly to hold the bark in place. Tree bark can take a few months or longer to reattach with this method. I agree with the above post, I would just cut it, it will die imho.

Back