Leads? Starting a tree clearing business in Western NC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieSawyer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was in Asheville for Hurricane Helene. I immediately set to cutting a few people out of their homes & situations.

As we were in the initial stages of moving there, I am now researching starting a tree clearing business. My basic model would be truck + pro grade chipper (18" - 21") and then add crew as needed. I have lots of questions - too many to post here - but as a previous business owner (in an unrelated industry), I have at least a basic understanding of how to do the basic research and put this together. I WILL force myself to write up a business plan, even though it's the to-do item I am least looking forward to.

A general question for everyone in tree-related businesses - do you have leads on good sources of information?

I have a call scheduled with a business coach at a local non-profit (with the possibility of low-interest financing if my application is approved)
I have also reached out to the local Chamber of Commerce.

Lines of research that I have set for myself are things such as :

1. Scope of work in Phase 1 - ground ops only, or including climbing work?
2. Clients? FEMA, Fed/State contracts, homeowners?
3. Employment mode for the crew - day rate (subs) vs putting them on payroll
4. Financials - projected revenues vs all operating costs.

Yet to determine - are there associations or other industry-specific orgs that can help with structuring and launching the business?

Over to 'those who have gone before'. (I'm getting my chainsaw certification next week, 4 day course - something I want to be able to add to my resume. It might also help with local knowledge and contacts).

Coming from somebody who has cut off several new people who say they want to be in this business but have no business being here, I'd say go hit the streets in Asheville and find some local crews and talk to them. Every market is different. I know there is a guy on another forum from that area, and he says it's a tough market, or at least it was prior to Helene. Low bids to cheapskate boomers seem to be prevalent according to him, but I say go verify for yourself. But, if you can't climb, then it's going to be rough no matter where you go, to answer question #1. Normally, I would say get aerial first, then worry about chipping, but in storm area, that rule may could be broken. And I have nothing against taking classes, so don't take this the wrong way, but just be aware that this market is full of workers who are self taught and are wizards with tools and all things mechanical, or who know how to "read and do". But if classes is your way, then good on you for taking the step. And to expand on my opening statement, you should always take responsibility for own knowledge, and never rely upon someone else to be the only source. That may have come from a fortune cookie.

Back