Leads? Starting a tree clearing business in Western NC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieSawyer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was in Asheville for Hurricane Helene. I immediately set to cutting a few people out of their homes & situations.

As we were in the initial stages of moving there, I am now researching starting a tree clearing business. My basic model would be truck + pro grade chipper (18" - 21") and then add crew as needed. I have lots of questions - too many to post here - but as a previous business owner (in an unrelated industry), I have at least a basic understanding of how to do the basic research and put this together. I WILL force myself to write up a business plan, even though it's the to-do item I am least looking forward to.

A general question for everyone in tree-related businesses - do you have leads on good sources of information?

I have a call scheduled with a business coach at a local non-profit (with the possibility of low-interest financing if my application is approved)
I have also reached out to the local Chamber of Commerce.

Lines of research that I have set for myself are things such as :

1. Scope of work in Phase 1 - ground ops only, or including climbing work?
2. Clients? FEMA, Fed/State contracts, homeowners?
3. Employment mode for the crew - day rate (subs) vs putting them on payroll
4. Financials - projected revenues vs all operating costs.

Yet to determine - are there associations or other industry-specific orgs that can help with structuring and launching the business?

Over to 'those who have gone before'. (I'm getting my chainsaw certification next week, 4 day course - something I want to be able to add to my resume. It might also help with local knowledge and contacts).

Back