logging questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trialanderror

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a phone call from someone who's doing some logging right next door. He spoke he works for a company, which i discovered is a subdivision of the sawmill he works for. He said he could see i had some nice looking material right from the property edge and asked if he could quick look through it. i said sure, what's the harm, no equipment no contract, just curiosity.

week later he calls me back, says hey, yeah, you got a nice looking lot, and decent trees. so i i asked what's paying good right now, and obviously his answer is " it all is paying good right now'. Yeah, whatever, typical answer.

as the conversation went on, i kinda hinted how i wanted him to only work with the poplar, as i have probably 100-130 trees that 2 men are needed to reach around, and they're starting to fall over, and on top of that they're choking out everything else around. the buyer kept falling back to how i had some decent maple, oak, pine. granted this property has been logged 4x that i know of, and i t's been strictly hardwood, which i would like to actually keep them around and turn into something instead of having a harvest every 30 years.

as the conversation went on, i discussed how the previous harvests have been quite brutal, sloppy, bruised alot of good trees, and did alot of things not in our favor, obviously the reason it's been a few minutes since it was logged last. he stood up and down how his equipment is good and such, then let it out of the bag the cutter is someone who he doesn't work with anymore, but knows him from the past. (coincidence),

this weekend he wants to actually take a ride with me and scout the woods in person, and talk more. and this is where i pushed him into the biggest red flag. i mentioned again, lets focus on these popular, i'm not hurting for money, your equipment is right next door that you so proudly keep bringing up to make the harvest quick and easy, and you claim 'it's all paying good'.

Then he made the grand red flag hinting statement. " well, you have alot of poplar, but i'm just going to eye ball it and throw you a price, i'm not going to look at every tree. i'll be there forever'

Well, sounds like i need to tell this guy to **-OFF. he wants to cut trees, i don't know his history, the cutter, or the mill. he doesn't want to mark trees, which i prefer double marks, stump and log, as we've been down that headache more than once. and all this talk about how good the prices are and he doesn't want to go out of the way to make me a fair deal?

I've considered buying some paint, borrowing a toy, and taking a week and marking all my own harvest, the trees **I** want gone, not what they want, and having the buyer(s) look, or at that point hire a forester, but now i feel like i'm in the position that i might sting him and chase him away.

strictly hypothetical for discussion reasons, if he offered $30,000 for easy math, and a forester comes in and says oh wow, no, this more like $50,000, if that buyer gets all angry and turns his nose, where's that set me for the next buyer that says 'well, i don't have equipment nearby, nearest mill is here, blah blah blah', and offers me $28,000 for example because i should of taken the bullet with the blind offer?

and then ontop of chip, lumber, veneer, i don't even know what mills are interested in what, or even the market as a whole? I still have to get into googling and downloading a bunch of PDF's and look at stumpage history rates.

i know enough to be cautious and tell people to leave me alone, but i'm also not educated enough to pull the trigger when the market is good and the right buyer is in the area. From what i understand, a buyer isn't in the interest of preserving trees or giving out more money then needed to acquire a harvest. I understand contracts need to be overwritten than underwritten for protection mostly of the land owner. I understand having a 3rd party cutter can completely destroy a woods lot if done sloppy. What's the good in harvesting trees for thinning if they just destroy all the the young growth? regardless if i get paid well?

the ultimate questions are

1, is this guy looking for an easy dollar right next door, and because of that will he just walk away if i really do demand fair market value? or at the least if i show i'm more educated in person then how i played dumb dumb over the phone?

2, because of the variables, should i sniff out a forester?

i'm from west Michigan for area of reference. he's still waiting for me to call him back for a woods cruise, but honestly given how the introduction went, the phone conversation, how i played him to sniff out how he does stuff, who he works for, his methods of harvest, i feel like it's a waste of time

thanks for the input

Poplar might be a hard sell.

I worked in a commercial mill for a while, in the northeast. We did softwoods and hardwoods.

The poplar was POS we cut up all of, for the pallet market. Mostly 1 X 4"/1 X 6" boards and 4 X 6" (hearts/centers) for blocks/stringers.

Not sure what they made on it.

he said the poplar will go for pallet, and it's also what he could see from the property line. once he got through the lot ~140 acres, all of a sudden i have great maple, oak, walnut, hickory, etc etc.

i'm sure he'll cut and harvest the poplar, but given of how the phone conversation went before his cruise, and after his cruise, now he wants to walk with me in person and discuss ( what's in his favor).

just sounds like something i don't want to put the time in. i'm sure there's another ******* out there that will give me more money and less headache.

oh, forgot to mention, after the 1st phone call, i sent him a satellite photo with the far corner squared off where he was supposed to look into and give me a quote. the follow up phone call, he mentioned 'over there' i seen a bunch of trees. I made it a point to look for toy tracks before the next rain and speaking with him, phone or in person.. and yeah, he drove everywhere he wanted since no one was holding his hand.

thats the other fail i have on my ******* checklist.

this exact same ordeal happens with the iron harvesters. i had a car crusher come in and take care of 500 or so vehicles and odds and ends laying round in crates with car hoods for water shed. i lost some old 60's frames, international truck bodies, older gearboxes and auxiliaries. heavy 2 speed and single truck rear ends.

commission and weight. bad combination if you're not holding their Fin hand. World is ridiculous.

oh, forgot to mention, after the 1st phone call, i sent him a satellite photo with the far corner squared off where he was supposed to look into and give me a quote. the follow up phone call, he mentioned 'over there' i seen a bunch of trees. I made it a point to look for toy tracks before the next rain and speaking with him, phone or in person.. and yeah, he drove everywhere he wanted since no one was holding his hand.

thats the other fail i have on my ******* checklist.

this exact same ordeal happens with the iron harvesters. i had a car crusher come in and take care of 500 or so vehicles and odds and ends laying round in crates with car hoods for water shed. i lost some old 60's frames, international truck bodies, older gearboxes and auxiliaries. heavy 2 speed and single truck rear ends.

commission and weight. bad combination if you're not holding their Fin hand. World is ridiculous.

So he trespassed......

technically no.
he seen trees
he called and asked permission
i said go check where i marked off.
he drove everywhere, including where i marked off.
he didn't tresspass, he walked what i owned.

its still a fail in my book, i agree.

technically no.
he seen trees
he called and asked permission
i said go check where i marked off.
he drove everywhere, including where i marked off.
he didn't tresspass, he walked what i owned.

its still a fail in my book, i agree.

You gave him permission to look in one area. He went outside of that.....yes?

If so, that's trespass, whether legally or morally.

I don't think I'd be working with him. One of the good traits of a working relationship with a logging crew is both sides agreeing to an amicable outcome, with the best interests of the property owner and logger. I wouldn't hesitate to call in a Forrester or call your state/ local land management office for more advice. Friend if mine had a slightly similar experience, but it was a guy he called in, not some random guy from next door. All in all the logger was held to the contract, but there were still significant damages done. Really wish he would have gotten a second opinion and got a certified Forrester to develop a plan.

been on the phone alot with fellows in the different industries. Ill be getting a 2nd opinion if lumber prices and demand are as good as it's spoken.

I'll also putting the trim back on these windows, as that's a 1+ year wait. I"m not just stuffing windows inside of old frames, that's ugly. 1" jumbo toe and heel. On a window that just got smaller. Gross.

thanks for the feeler help. Sounds like he just saw $ for his pocket and not $$ in mine.

having the conversation with others who are not in the logging world, and kinda just sharing the situation with them.

they are on the buyers side, as it would be alot of work to mark tree's on a chance and whim i might say no. So he's supposed to throw me a number just from eyeballing and cruising, then write up a contract and then mark the tree's? sounds shady to me. I understand the risk of already loosing money, as he'll be bidding it low, then at the landing ends up making profit because they scale out better then his quote was, but that difference needs to be minimized, and dollar in my pocket, which isn't that the reason of marking every tree to be cut in the first place? If it's too much work to mark trees, i feel like he's in the wrong area of employment. i assumed such task comes with being a responsible buyer.

Or is that the difference i'm uncovering? good buyers mark tree's of interest, shady buyers don't mark trees before contract?

Honestly i'm curious why he just didn't use a spray can the day he drove all over scouting in the first place. If he didn't have time that isn't my problem, he should of made time.

It's not unusual around here to get copies of the mill slips. Keeps everyone honest. From speaking with my logger buddy, everyone marks a bit differently. Seems to depend on the track of land being timbered. Some times he marks specific trees to cut, or not cut. He said sometimes it's just boarders marked off and whatever species over a certain size are taken. All agreed upon before hand. I think you need get someone more knowledgeable out there to help you with the process if you're serious about having your land timbered. Really the guy could be "jerking you around" because he doesn't think you have a lot of interest in timbering. Whatever the reason, make sure your bases are covered.

i agree

i read some of this page and it's a deep rabbit hole on scales, mills, sawing, kerf waste, and finger pointing of who takes the hit on defects, scales differences, effort, profits, and everything else in between.
https://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Log_Scales_Log_Size_Kerf_Thickness.html

i respect and understand it's a very weaved system of harmony, and unfortunately if someone plays shady, the poop trickles downhill and almost always falls on the landowner, because he's the guy that doesn't have a business to keep afloat.

like i mentioned i know plenty to keep me aware, cautious, curious, and asking questions, but not quite enough to sign my name on anything.

i have a few phone calls out on foresters, hopefully i get some callbacks in the next week or so.

i haven't spoken to him yet. last week they dropped off most of the equipment. i do need to speak with him, because if this buyer goes sour, id like to still have access through his log landing and woods entrance into mine, as i don't have any roads cleaned up and enough for trucks. My old loader is currently getting a new power plant, pump, and planetaries, and i have alot of scrap and junk making the 1 mile of road stupid tight. my idea was to get my access cleaned up with this drott 4in1, but an injury set me in a chair for the past few months, and timing is just kinda not in my favor right now.

i'm curious as well, both the result and what he throws at me for price. but he'll have to improve his sales pitch, i'm not financially tight, i wouldn't mind if the trees get another 15 years, and the discussion we had together made me even more uninterested.

if i wasn't so laid up right now i'd walk around his lot and investigate before harvesting begins. Neighbor and I are good like that, known each other past 40 years. Accounting generations all of 120 years.

the ultimate questions are

1, is this guy looking for an easy dollar right next door, and because of that will he just walk away if i really do demand fair market value? or at the least if i show i'm more educated in person then how i played dumb dumb over the phone?

2, because of the variables, should i sniff out a forester?

You're asking the wrong questions. The only real question to ask is, what do you want from the property? Probably multiple things: enhance wildlife habitat, improved forest health/production (thinning), maybe wildfire resilience, maybe enhanced production of a particular species, money of course. The logger has one objective, money. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a business, not a hobby.

If the other things or others I didn't list are your main priority, then best to have a chat with a registered forester or whatever they've got in your state, maybe state Department of Natural Resources or something similar, and get advice, maybe to the point of marking trees, and then engage the logger with a specific set of trees you want removed. Probably a lot less money for both parties, but it fits your long term goals much better than a quickie harvest from some guy who happens to be in the neighborhood on another job.

i'm avoiding a quickie harvest, and it seems those approaches are ususally never in the favor of the land owner.

and to answer your variables, select harvest, its a blanket approach to everything else, and i really don't know why he insists on not marking trees with a selective harvest. without double marking it's wayyy to easy to have a few extra cuts thrown in....

Back