logging questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and you can mark timber using snowshoes to get around on. Each Wisconsin marker carried a canoe paddle. It was jammed into the snow along the base of the tree and paint was squirted down that hole to get a stump mark on the stump. Stump marks are part of accountability. When the rest of the tree is skidded, the stump will show the mark so you can check. That's assuming the logger isn't dishonest enough to mark additional trees to steal.

Timber fallers--guys who have worked for years cutting with chainsaws, can be good timber markers. Our contracts started having the timber purchaser responsible for marking with a description on what the prescription was. Some timber fallers from Montana did good work and enjoyed walking around without having to carry all their falling stuff along. They were excellent.

Had about 30 loads logged (big tandem truck load to the top) It was easy to get to, so we split 60-40 with me getting 60. The mill cut the checks for each of us and provided each log on the invoices. The guy did a good job. It was his equipment, and he took the risks of a very dangerous job. All the money trees were not cut then, the #1 Walnut, white Oak, maple, etc. He cut the money trees latter and had several people bid on them. Several real nice walnut logs went around $3000 a piece.

This will be the 6th harvest, twice in my time, maybe a 3rd depending how this conversation goes Saturday.

Yes, there's been some sloppy work, and it shows to this day. I have my reasons of being skiddish and hesitant.

Latest posts

Back