Maple help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bethany710

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 2 October Glory Maples put in this Spring that have done great, but now I’m noticing black, raised spots on the leaves. Seems to be throughout, but more concentrated on the lower leaves with some curling and black ends on the lower leaves as well. Any ideas what it is and how to treat?

Oh, those are galls.

I had them on my maples, but mine were red, but that was early in the spring. Supposedly later in the season they turn black
I googled and found an article about "Maple bladder gall mites"
https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/publications/E-56/E-56.html
1725317166565.png
I'm not an arborist, so let's see if an expert like @ATH can verify.

But it looks like you may have some other issue going on there, too.
From what I've read, insects and disease attack weak and sick trees and your leaves look a little chlorotic.

From what I've read, insects and disease attack weak and sick trees and your leaves look a little chlorotic.
Oh, those are galls.

I had them on my maples, but mine were red, but that was early in the spring. Supposedly later in the season they turn black
I googled and found an article about "Maple bladder gall mites"
https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/publications/E-56/E-56.html
View attachment 1202065
I'm not an arborist, so let's see if an expert like @ATH can verify.
Thank you!! That looks just like them. Hopefully an arborist can confirm and let me know what an oil spray is…I’m clueless.

I just assumed it was because it’s September in the Midwest! Do you think it’s too soon for the leaves to be turning or are you seeing something specific with the leaves?

Latest posts

Back