McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 300 Series saws have good engines, but working in the airbox can present a challenge.

The ergonomics of the short handle saws is not so good, but the 330/340 models are just too ugly to take out in public even though they are quite comfortable to operate.

20190119_141849.jpg

Mark

Good saw but the chain is on backwards. The first saw I bought was a display at Montgomery Wards in the late 70's in a mall that they wanted gone. I ran that saw for many years until the rewind gave up. That 1st saw is a parts saw to make this one good again It has good compression and the parts are all there. It has hope!

The 300 Series saws have good engines, but working in the airbox can present a challenge.

The ergonomics of the short handle saws is not so good, but the 330/340 models are just too ugly to take out in public even though they are quite comfortable to operate.

View attachment 1207353

Mark
That thing makes a Mini Mac look like a prom queen, but if it works it works!

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

My engineer friend and I changed the openings from round to triangle to try and produce a cleaner 3D printed "hole" due to limitation with my printer. This was around January of 2020.

20201101_145544.jpg

We later discovered by accident while trying to reproduce the 3 piece screens for the early 10 Series saws that I could in fact create a decent square opening, albeit a bit smaller than the original parts again due to the limitations of my 3D printer.

20220605_154518.jpg

Since June of 2022 I have been printing the 10 Series sawdust screens with (smaller) square openings.

20220612_134743.jpg

20220612_140944.jpg

The current units are much cleaner looking that the one in the photo above, my engineer friend saw was what happening in the printing process and made a slight change in the design that corrected it.

Just FYI...I saw the injection molded screens with the triangular openings almost as soon as they appeared on eBay and was appropriately flattered.

Mark

Vinny - the sheath for the throttle wires are often cracked or broken making for rough operation. I have a few NOS shorter ones for the 310/320 type saws, and longer ones for the 334/340 type saws. I have also cut down the longer ones and reformed the hook on the end of the wire to make them work on the short handle saws.

20211215_160534.jpg

Mark

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

My engineer friend and I changed the openings from round to triangle to try and produce a cleaner 3D printed "hole" due to limitation with my printer. This was around January of 2020.

View attachment 1207752

We later discovered by accident while trying to reproduce the 3 piece screens for the early 10 Series saws that I could in fact create a decent square opening, albeit a bit smaller than the original parts again due to the limitations of my 3D printer.

View attachment 1207757

Since June of 2022 I have been printing the 10 Series sawdust screens with (smaller) square openings.

View attachment 1207762

View attachment 1207764

The current units are much cleaner looking that the one in the photo above, my engineer friend saw was what happening in the printing process and made a slight change in the design that corrected it.

Just FYI...I saw the injection molded screens with the triangular openings almost as soon as they appeared on eBay and was appropriately flattered.

Mark
Thanks for posting Mark, sorry I patronized someone that likely plagiarized your idea... I'll keep in mind your making those screens the next time I need one.
Do you have an eBay account or any such digital storefront for parts that you're printing?

Is there any way to adjust or reduce the "sensitivity" of this style chain brake on a 10-10? I have this saw all together but the chain brake engages with almost no pressure, and it will even snap just from the vibration of the engine at idle.

Or do they just get worn and become useless?

I do have another clutch cover / brake that I could use, it's just not nearly as nice as this one.

View attachment 1206368View attachment 1206369View attachment 1206370
In my experience, the culprit is the rivet that holds the latch loosens and doesn't hold the latch tight against the housing. It doesn't take much side play to have a hair trigger or no trigger. I have tried many other fixes (notching, swapping out latches, etc.) and none lasted for me. Take a punch and give the rivet a good whack or two. If it doesn't stay tight with use, use a little red Locktite then drive the rivet.

Ron

Good to hear from you Ron. Keep us informed of your adventures this fall...

MacAttack - I don't have any presence on eBay or other digital marketplaces at this time so I don't get too excited when I see those kinds of copies. I do try to keep the folks here informed of what I have available but I'm not really actively marketing. It never hurts to check with me if you need McCulloch parts. Max and I stay in pretty close contact and between us we can often supply what is needed.

Mark

Back