McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here...if I'm ever in that part of the country I'll be dragging my wife to the chainsaw museum, haha.

Nice job on the cutaway saw, I like that even the carb is cutaway to show the diaphragms.

one year ago next week, I got this saw in a 3 saw deal. was going to paint it but couldn't find any decals. contacted the guy on ebay who did the really nice decal kits for my SP70 and 10-10S restos but he said he couldn't do them for this saw unless I sent him the parts with good decals to go off of. of course, I didn't have any parts with good decals. last week I was browsing and found these on his site. arrived today. I think I may have just enough of the yellow left from the 10-10S to do this one. back on my bench, I guess. :sweet:

10-1-24.jpgPXL_20231010_150051700.MP.jpg10-10-23.jpg

Cutaway looks good, Mark.

With our local circumstances making national news, I am sure you guys will forgive me for asking an off-brand question or two. A friend of mine had his farm shop completely flooded leaving mud filled equipment, including several chainsaws. His brother asked me if I would see if I could recover a MS290. It was packed in mud. Fortunately, the piston was covering the exhaust port, and the air filter seemed to have filtered the silt out of the water that filled the chamber. Both the gas tank and the oil tank were full of water. Anyway, I have cleaned it up the best I can short of a soak or a pressure washing. I have it sitting to dry with the plug out, the air filter off, and the muffler off. I don't have the tools or knowledge to take it completely apart. Any advice on any additional work or method to dry it? Any advice on pre-start measures?

Thanks,
Ron

Sorry to hear about the flooded saw... unfortunately I can't see much chances that vital components like main bearings could have avoided getting silt / dirt in them, and it would require a complete disassembly.
However, if it was me in a dire situation with a flooded saw, I would fill and drain the fuel tank, oil tank, and crankcase with diesel, kerosene or gas a few times to hopefully flush out any junk, and then try running the saw.

Is anyone able to ID these saws from these pics? Especially the one in the back with the black air filter cover?

Random listing on Facebook Marketplace, just says "old McCulloch saws and parts"...

No price in the ad, could be junk or a hidden gem, it's about an hour drive from my house.

1000009625.jpg

Attachments

• 1000009624.jpg
    1000009624.jpg
    690.3 KB
Cutaway looks good, Mark.

With our local circumstances making national news, I am sure you guys will forgive me for asking an off-brand question or two. A friend of mine had his farm shop completely flooded leaving mud filled equipment, including several chainsaws. His brother asked me if I would see if I could recover a MS290. It was packed in mud. Fortunately, the piston was covering the exhaust port, and the air filter seemed to have filtered the silt out of the water that filled the chamber. Both the gas tank and the oil tank were full of water. Anyway, I have cleaned it up the best I can short of a soak or a pressure washing. I have it sitting to dry with the plug out, the air filter off, and the muffler off. I don't have the tools or knowledge to take it completely apart. Any advice on any additional work or method to dry it? Any advice on pre-start measures?

Thanks,
Ron
If muddy water got in the saw, the bearings now have silt fines in them. Will it run without a complete tear down and cleaning? Yes. Will it run long term without it. No sadly.

Latest posts

Back