Micro Rigging Line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fugue14

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was looking at new rigging lines and saw the samson amsteel micro rigging line. 7400lbs tensile strength, 1480 wll, abrasion resistant. Would be plenty for light rigging, 1/4" just seems so skinny though.

I wouldn't want to hold on to that with much weight on the other end. I am pretty sure that knots in smaller rope tend to cut down on the strength more quickly than thicker rope...but I can't tell you where I think I heard that. I am sure somebody will be along to correct or back up that point!

I do have a 3/8" line that I use for really light duty stuff.

have a read of my post about breaking strains, WLL, CTF and realistic loadings of ropes here;

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/light-rigging.212035/

Short end of the story, that rope would realistically be good for branches of up to 300lbs, or logs up to 150lbs. Single braids also suffer much worse from UV degradation and loss of strength compared with double braids and kernamntle ropes - the entire load bearing surface of the rope is exposed to the elements, and dirt/grit easily enters. Tests I've read shows single braids can lose as much as 40% of their strength over a 5 year period. Add to that, the difficulty of handholding 1/4" (ever tried? ouch!) and it's starting to look like more trouble than what it's worth. This stuff might have a use in setting up easy to manage doglegs or spider legs for balanced lifting if you had a GRCS and regularly needed to do balance point lifts but as a daily rigging rope I see it having little practical application, especially since it's about the same price as the cheaper 1/2" double braids.

1/2" double braid really isn't that expensive and stands up to quite a bit of abuse as a light rigging rope. It's also the smallest diameter that you can comfortably handhold. I'll have to post some pics of the 1/2" light rigging setup we use for quick take downs, it's a versatile and fast system that uses a couple of camming pulleys. It's very effective.

Yeah I just worry that it would wear to abrasion fast. Might try it after I buy a new 1/2" rope.

Back