Proof That Wildlife is Runoff By Logging Operations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely! We use beer in a shallow plate too keep slugs out of the garden. That guy looks he could drink a pounder by himself! :cheers:

I'm in California and we're logging between the towns of Truckee and King's Beach (on Lake Tahoe) so we're not out in the boonies somewhere. Yesterday while a logging truck was being loaded the loader operator yelled over to me that a wolf just trotted by the landing. He told me to go run behind the log deck and I could see him. Sure enough, we had a wolf right there at our job site. Just amazing! There aren't very many wolves in CA and I couldn't believe where we saw him. We look right across the valley at the Ritz Carlton Tahoe and Northstar Ski Resort. I've seen all three of the rarest animals in California- Sasquatch, a wolverine and a wolf!

I'm in California and we're logging between the towns of Truckee and King's Beach (on Lake Tahoe) so we're not out in the boonies somewhere. Yesterday while a logging truck was being loaded the loader operator yelled over to me that a wolf just trotted by the landing. He told me to go run behind the log deck and I could see him. Sure enough, we had a wolf right there at our job site. Just amazing! There aren't very many wolves in CA and I couldn't believe where we saw him. We look right across the valley at the Ritz Carlton Tahoe and Northstar Ski Resort. I've seen all three of the rarest animals in California- Sasquatch, a wolverine and a wolf!
It's a sixteen-year old thread, my friend.
Anyway, I know where you are. If you saw a wolf there it would be the most southerly sighting yet. I am a little skeptical. They have been sighted as far south as Susanville but not Truckee. A wolf is a very big dog. Most people underestimate just how big they are. On the other hand, there are some big coyotes in your area. Are you sure it was a wolf? How would it compare size wise to a full grown labrador, for example?

It's a sixteen-year old thread, my friend.
Anyway, I know where you are. If you saw a wolf there it would be the most southerly sighting yet. I am a little skeptical. They have been sighted as far south as Susanville but not Truckee. A wolf is a very big dog. Most people underestimate just how big they are. On the other hand, there are some big coyotes in your area. Are you sure it was a wolf? How would it compare size wise to a full grown labrador, for example?
We (two of us) saw a wolf. I may be a logger but that doesn't make me stupid. Go to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife website and look at where KNOWN packs exist- as far south as Tulare County. There is a known pack just north of Truckee in the Jackson Meadows area. My friends caretake a property there during the non-snow months and hear them all the time.

Contact Todd Rawlinson, Tahoe National Forest Biologist, and ask him about wolves in the Truckee area. He works out of the Truckee Ranger District.

Latitude wise I'm not the least bit surprised where we saw one, it's how close to human populations that surprises me.

And just to make me even less believable, I have Alaskan friends that were down here on a ski vacation 40 years ago and they saw one in Bear Valley on HWY 20. These are people that see wolves almost daily. 20 years ago one was shot and killed on the Bowman Lake road, picked up and positively identified by a biologist working for a private timber company. For obvious reasons, that ended right there.

But you're right... it was probably just a dog, like a chihuahua or something.

We (two of us) saw a wolf. I may be a logger but that doesn't make me stupid. Go to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife website and look at where KNOWN packs exist- as far south as Tulare County. There is a known pack just north of Truckee in the Jackson Meadows area. My friends caretake a property there during the non-snow months and hear them all the time.

Contact Todd Rawlinson, Tahoe National Forest Biologist, and ask him about wolves in the Truckee area. He works out of the Truckee Ranger District.

Latitude wise I'm not the least bit surprised where we saw one, it's how close to human populations that surprises me.

And just to make me even less believable, I have Alaskan friends that were down here on a ski vacation 40 years ago and they saw one in Bear Valley on HWY 20. These are people that see wolves almost daily. 20 years ago one was shot and killed on the Bowman Lake road, picked up and positively identified by a biologist working for a private timber company. For obvious reasons, that ended right there.

But you're right... it was probably just a dog, like a chihuahua or something.
You don't have to get defensive. I said I was skeptical, not that I didn't believe you. I looked it up and there have been confirmed sightings South of South Shore, which is way further than I thought.
But then you go and claim a buddy from Alaska saw one on Hwy 20 20yrs ago and I'm gonna call that a tall tale.

Latest posts

Back