Most profitable saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
O.K. guys. We all keep talking horsepower, cutting speed, etc. etc. etc. But none of that pays the bills. I'd like to hear some opinions on your most PROFITABLE saw. I'm talking total cost vs. income over the life of the saw.
I think that my inexpensive ($250) Echo 3400 climbing saws have been the MOST profitable saws. I use them about 10X more than any of my bigger saws and usually get 2-3 years out of them. My current one is over 3 years old and still running strong.
My bigger saws get used a lot less, but they make decent money when I run them. Usually on removals.

A friend of mine is one of the "bucket boys" he has an 009, yes an 009 that he bought new in 1985 and used for YEARS (6 or more) before a re-build, yes it was a tired P.O.S. when he re-built it, but other than bar/chain sprocket parts there were no major mechanical faults. He bought a later 009 and an 020T while the 009 was down for repair. The 020T has been relaiable, the newer 009 has given him fits. He's had 335XP's commit suicide by jumping out of the bucket!

It is hard to imagine living without multiple saws-they are all part of the team. My greatest return ever was probably a Poulan 2000 that I used as my climbing saw for 7 years back when I was just a pup. My most profitable saw now is an Echo Power Pruner.- But I NEED the Stihl 019T, The Poulan Pro 330 (great limbing saw), the Husqvarna 268xp(quick,quick), The Jonsered 590 etc. etc. My most profitable piece of equipment is the Rayco RG12 Stump Grinder.Then again it might be the Pruning snips-great return on that investment!;)

Well, I'd have to say my first 044 that is 9 years old, that has only been in the shop two or three times. It currently hs a bit of crank wear, but still is running fine. I just got a full bottom end plus piston, ring kit, all new, on ebay for $130. I'm fixing both 044's intending to sell them on ebay for 275-325 or more, and getting another 372 to Greffardize.

And my three year old screamin' 335 that I fixed yesterday, for $65, it seems to be back running strong. All previous problems seem to be gone!!! If it proves to be OK, I'll open up the muffler.

Back in '87 or so, i got a Husky 2100 for $375. Used it a lot til~'91-2 when I got my first 066. Sold it ~1998 for $250 when I got my 3120. Got the 3120 for $700, traded an old Jonsered Super 920 to Dennis for the Greffardizing. Now I've go the baddest 3120 woods saw in the PNW, more'n likely.

Made a heck of a lot of moola with all these saws, fer sure!!

Well 020, you can always get a saw to cut slower by backing off, but a fast power saw; i can do more trix with in hinging and release, besides productivity. i think i make more in d'air, than on ground!

But, that is new, in used dept. i have been lucky enough to have purchased 3 o44's over time @ $300 a piece! That i think is hard to beat! Except for i'm supposed to pick up 2 for $225 on Fri.! One the chain break doesn't work (yetch), the other the gas tank leaks; i have a parts 044, but for that money could put new parts in on both! i ride from 16" to 36" (in pinch), so find 044's to be very flexable over that range, very fast, power cutter, very well balanced @16"!

Wish Budroe could find such a deal! i think if i had only 2 saws, these would be it!

Hi rb tree, that's a good picture you took, I like it. Anyway, being the bragart that I am, I think I gross about 20-50 G's per saw which equals about 100 stems or so. Music to the ears and no open pit mining. My saws never get cooked cause i keep them sharp and I gaurd them jealously.
John

I hate to admit to this, but at the moment, if I take what I paid for the saw, the value of the wood it cut (fuel oil equivalent), minus what I sold the saw for....it comes down to a Stihl 029. My 044 was running a close second until it blew up, and the 026 is coming on strong.

stumper if u using a poulan pro 330 for limbing . do us a favor an post a picture o yoself. we need to know just how much respect u are due:D

I cannot give exact figures, but when the pros were running 051 Stihl, they just never died. They still haven't, just can't find any one to run one. I know a few loggers who keep one around for backup because it is so reliable, just too dang HEAVY.

LOL Tony, By limbing I mean cutting the brush off a downed tree. For a climbing saw I use a husky 3120 with 36" bar.;)
(I'm 6'1" tall 235lbs.)

Saw Profits

Stihl Tech,

I have to agree with the 051. They have given outstanding service, and are pretty powerful. I have gotten 051s for next to nothing, basically like this; Joe Bloggs buys an 051, because the saw shop says they are good for cutting ironbark (a local hardwood and an ideal firewood). Anyway it's the greatest for a while then the novelty wears off, it's too heavy, it uses too much fuel, bla bla bla . . . . the saw ends up in his shed and he buys a piss weak (in comparison) 028 or 610 Promac. 10 or 15 years later I come along, 'agree' with him the saw is useless and buy it for $200 A - $500 A. Not too bad when a new 064 costs around $2000 A, and an 088 $2500 A or more.

Fordclevo.

To this day I still have very few in the barn for parts. Lately the tree guys have discovered old 075's for stumps. Just won't give them up. Easy to pick up for less than 200. Steering wheel extra.

Comparing cost to income, my Silky handsaw is a deal! After putting a new blade on the first one it got even chepaer. Pro-rate the cost of handle and scabbard. Then I lost the saw...grrrrr!

The Felco #2 handpruners that I bought in April '76 are still cutting. They cost $25 brand new. The blade in them, the third, is nicked and Felco changed blade configuratiosn so they stay in my little van and don't see production pruning. Just as backups. Now, the #2s only cost $29. What a deal!

For power saws, the ol' Poulan 25 was my best deal. The most I ever paid for one was $240 and I had so many in the boneyard I hardly ever had to buy parst. They'd last at least five years before the crankcase seals would leak. Not worth fixing then. I do like the 335 but it costs more to maintain.

Tom

Well, not being commercial, my pick would be my current JR410. For one reason only: It persuaded a white birch & some of it's closest friends that my cabin with the new roof was not the best place to lay down during the Ice Storm we had here in '98. It wasn't the best, fastest, cheapes or anything else. It had the 2 most important qualities I needed. It was there, & it started.

Latest posts

Back