MS 180 - 12" or 14" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ham

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have another saw with an 18" bar which is fine for anything large on my property. I want to setup my MS 180 to be a quick in-out affair, and was thinking a 12" bar, .050.

There is surprisingly little discussion about bar lengths for this saw. I'm not backpacking it or anything, but carrying for a bit from time to time. My gut sort of wants a little tiny 12" bar but from I've read a couple threads that many specifically prefer 14" for this saw. What do you think? If I'm bucking I'll get the bigger saw, and I'm not climbing with it. Really this would be for fallen limbs and that sort of thing.

12" is perfect, it can actually drive it too. Compact, lightweight, manauverable and useful.

I have a MS211 with a 14” light bar and it pulls it with some authority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So it cuts 14" diameter wood in one go with authority? thats just amazing, is it as maneuverable as a 12"?
I guess its all down to personal preferences...
troverfavpk.jpg

I have a MS211 with a 14” light bar and it pulls it with some authority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You know, if I was cutting 14 inches of wood I could do it with a 35cc - but that would not be what I would use.
I would probably use one of my saws that would do it with "authority"... it would not be as lightweight and manauverable as a 180 with a 12" though.
So, whats the strong side of a Stihl 180?

Smaller the bar the better the performance, for small stuff and limbing thats great. But for big stuff your going to want a larger saw or a buddy thats a chainsaw nut to come cut the big stuff.

You might want the longer bar for reach, even if you are not cutting that full 14” length. Sometimes it’s hard to get the power head right up to a limb.

You might also go to your dealer and ask to try holding a saw with each bar mounted, and see how / if they balance differently

Either one you choose will probably be OK: the actual difference is pretty small.

Philbert

I know you already got your bar, but for what it's worth I have a 170 with a 14 inch bar and love it for how light it is and the reach. I have no issues running a 3/8LP full chisel chain on it doing small limb work.

I have a 16 inch 3/8LP full chisel on my 250 and a 20 inch 3/8 full chisel on my 361 (and my 391 I have just upgraded from to the 361).

I find these to be the perfect match of power and reach and the limit of what the saws can do without overworking them. This is in Australia cutting mostly Blue and stringy gum.

Edited to fix some numbers.

Latest posts

Back