MS 180 vs MS 181

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

(:-D

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone own either of the newer versions of these? My 018c is dead, I could rebuild it, but I think I might just set it aside for a winter project and pick up a new small saw instead. Can't go wrong with an extra saw...

Which is the better saw for light use? I want to keep the 14" 3/8LP .050 as I bought quite a few loops of woodland pro chain and an arbormax bar from bailey's a couple years back. Totally different saw with that on there and made it much more useful.

If you're gonna stay with the homeowner line, upsize to a 250. It should run good with that bar.

I don't think there is much difference between the 018 and 180. Isn't the 181 heavier and near the same power ? Check Stihls web site. Last I looked the ms170 was the bargain. I've run the 017 to ms 180 and like them all as long as its small wood.
No more then your 018 is worth you might try a cheap rebuild kit or I've seen new oem engines on ebay fairly reasonable.

As far as I can tell the 180 and 181 are the same size and weight, even power is the same. Cover looks different, but otherwise I can't tell. Stihl doesn't list a whole lot of info on the differences. It just says lower emissions for the 181. Is this a strato model? I don't mind lower emissions, better fuel economy, etc. Just not sure if it is any good on the homeowner saws?

Don't need a bigger saw, already have a 361 I use for the most part, this is just for trimming and cutting branches up for burning in the fire-pit when friends & family come over.

Ok, the 181 is a strato. It is about a pound heavier too. I think I am going to stick with the regular 180 then. I'm pretty sure my dealer had one on the shelf when I was in town a couple days ago. Unless someone can sell me on the 181.

I like the little saw, they do cut great if you let them work and not force it through the wood. It's nice to have a lightweight for little jobs. I also don't want to spend 400$ for a saw that will sit more than being used.

Sounds like an ms 170 will do, last I remember $179ish. Most or nearly all parts interchange with the 018 also I think. Probably another $75 for an ms181, could use that money to rebuild the 018 . If you wreck 1, u have a parts saw.

I would give the MS211 a good hard look, same weight as the 181, mo' power. Quickly too, before your dealer runs out of the discontinued non-ez2start models. I think that's a big reason why the MS181 weighs more than the old MS180 (which should be a near carbon copy of your 018).

The 180's have two clutch cover hold down bolts, the 181's only have one.

The 180's have two clutch cover hold down bolts, the 181's only have one.

True. Point! 180.....

But.... I think the version that's currently for sale is only avalable with the tooless chain adjuster. One stud on those.

The 181 (and it's 171/211 siblings) has much better fuel economy, AV, and a vastly superior air filter.

Point! Point! Point! 181......

Sounds like an ms 170 will do, last I remember $179ish. Most or nearly all parts interchange with the 018 also I think. Probably another $75 for an ms181, could use that money to rebuild the 018 . If you wreck 1, u have a parts saw.

Australian delivered MS170's are Chinese made. The MS171's are US made.
The MS170's are AUD$299 here and the MS171's are $349.
I'd spend the extra $50 on a strato MS171 anyday.

Hey master mech,
I too say MS211, even better if you can stihl find one without the C-BE. With such a small saw, I don't really care easy start or easy chain adjustment. I had an MS 211 for a while and really enjoyed it, however it ended up being either too small or too big for my uses. I replaced it with a MS 192 T C-E and MS 260 PRO.

I have a 211 and hate it. Honestly, I do. Stihl's website doesn't show the regular 171 and 181 models. Only the C-BE which is terrible. I got the 211 as a gift when they had the regular 171 and 181, which I'm sure some dealers still have. They are all the SAME weight, the regular 171,181, and 211. I chose the 211 honest, because of the power to weight. I quickly replaced it with an MS-260 that I paid $250 for in mint condition. I would agree with just getting a 250. They're great little saws. I see quite a few barely used on craigslist. I'm sure a dealer with sell you just the 250 powerhead for a discount.

Check this out...

MS-181C-BE which is the only one shown online.

MS 181C-BE 10.1LB 31.8cc $270
MS 250 10.1LB 45.4cc $340

I have a 211 and hate it. Honestly, I do. Stihl's website doesn't show the regular 171 and 181 models. Only the C-BE which is terrible. I got the 211 as a gift when they had the regular 171 and 181, which I'm sure some dealers still have. They are all the SAME weight, the regular 171,181, and 211. I chose the 211 honest, because of the power to weight. I quickly replaced it with an MS-260 that I paid $250 for in mint condition. I would agree with just getting a 250. They're great little saws. I see quite a few barely used on craigslist. I'm sure a dealer with sell you just the 250 powerhead for a discount.

Check this out...

MS-181C-BE which is the only one shown online.

MS 181C-BE 10.1LB 31.8cc $270
MS 250 10.1LB 45.4cc $340

As this is about what it is (rather crappy saws), I agree. :givebeer:

If you have any ounce of do it yourself if something happens to go wrong...just buy this saw.

I don't know if it is Stihl mount and will accept your bar, but I've read so many good things and if I didn't have a 260 I would snatch this up in a heart beat. I'm trying to convince my dad to buy it since he has a limitation with his dominant arm.

I have owned a ms 170 and a ms 250. They are decent homeowner saws for sure. Not everybody needs a pro saw. I have also owned the Husky 435. I am a Stihl guy mostly. However, although my 435 needed to be warm to idle correctly it was a great saw in this class. If I had to pick of the ones mentioned I would pick the 435 everytime. Lighter than a ms 250 and will out cut it by alot even though it is rated at 2.2 hp and the ms250 at 3.0 For the money the 435 is probably the best value in a saw in the homeowner class. With that being said I sold mine and picked up a MS 260 that had only one tank ran in it with for just a few bucks more. I think even most Husky guys would agree they would rather have a pro saw MS 260 for a few bucks more. I did really like my 435 though. I cut one of my 70cc saws out of a large tree that I had gotten it pinched in. I was worried the 435 would not do it but with a sharp chain it cut it free very easily. I was very impressed by the cutting speed.

I don't think there is much difference between the 018 and 180. Isn't the 181 heavier and near the same power ? Check Stihls web site. Last I looked the ms170 was the bargain. I've run the 017 to ms 180 and like them all as long as its small wood.
No more then your 018 is worth you might try a cheap rebuild kit or I've seen new oem engines on ebay fairly reasonable.

At Christmas time one of the local hardware stores was advertising a 170 with a case, spare chain, quart of bar oil and mix oil for about $200 as I recall.

Latest posts

Back