MS 180 vs MS 181

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned a ms 170 and a ms 250. They are decent homeowner saws for sure. Not everybody needs a pro saw. I have also owned the Husky 435. I am a Stihl guy mostly. However, although my 435 needed to be warm to idle correctly it was a great saw in this class. If I had to pick of the ones mentioned I would pick the 435 everytime. Lighter than a ms 250 and will out cut it by alot even though it is rated at 2.2 hp and the ms250 at 3.0 For the money the 435 is probably the best value in a saw in the homeowner class. With that being said I sold mine and picked up a MS 260 that had only one tank ran in it with for just a few bucks more. I think even most Husky guys would agree they would rather have a pro saw MS 260 for a few bucks more. I did really like my 435 though. I cut one of my 70cc saws out of a large tree that I had gotten it pinched in. I was worried the 435 would not do it but with a sharp chain it cut it free very easily. I was very impressed by the cutting speed.

Try opening up the muff on that 250, just worked on a older 025 with a more open muff and no 435 would out cut it. Steve

Try opening up the muff on that 250, just worked on a older 025 with a more open muff and no 435 would out cut it. Steve

Surely it wouldn't - but it no doubt is much nicer to use for smaller jobs - lighter as well, if anyone cares...:msp_wink:

The 250 is a vibe monster as well, for what it was - and a PIA to work on (it really is history by now, but some may remain in the "pipeline").

Surely it wouldn't - but it no doubt is much nicer to use for smaller jobs - lighter as well, if anyone cares...:msp_wink:

The 250 is a vibe monster as well, for what it was - and a PIA to work on (it really is history by now, but some may remain in the "pipeline").

Have to agree a PIA to work on, not a saw you want to own if you can't fix it as at $75 a hour dealer repair it's just a cheap to buy a new one. I have no trouble with the weight of a 025 250 and the vibes didn't seem bad but didn't run it too long, I'd guess the 435 would have less vibes but I think the quality is even less than a 250. WAY WAY too many refurb ones on the market Steve
One online site is selling refurb ones for $153, I almost got tempted but resisted.

Last edited:
See if you can find a Dolmar dealer near you. I know some may say it is too heavy for it's power but very few people who do own one. I am luck enough to own both a Dolmar 420 and a 346NE Husqvarna and the 420 is noticeably lighter. Here is a vid of mine that Mastermind hopped up for me.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9LbebS7nmes" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Have to agree a PIA to work on, not a saw you want to own if you can't fix it as at $75 a hour dealer repair it's just a cheap to buy a new one. I have no trouble with the weight of a 025 250 and the vibes didn't seem bad but didn't run it too long, I'd guess the 435 would have less vibes but I think the quality is even less than a 250. WAY WAY too many refurb ones on the market Steve
One online site is selling refurb ones for $153, I almost got tempted but resisted.

The 250 surely is a PIA to work on, even for simple tasks - and it is a vibration monster for what it is. I'd still take it over any cheaper Stihl model though - but there still are much better saws in basically the same class out there.

They just doesn't say "Stihl" on them, the Husky 345 and 350 were much better saws, when they still were made - and there were/are more.....

I picked up a ms180 a few months ago with a bunch of other saws. I got it not running, but after $20 in parts she a runner. I like it so much that I decided to keep it. It's a handy little saw great for small jobs trimming or pruning small trees around the yard. I use it mostly to carry with me to clear shooting lanes and break trail for trapping. As others have said keep the chain sharp and just let it feed itself through the wood. I think new they run around $180-240 depending what bar/chain you have them come with.

I can't speak for the 181.
018, ms 180, ms 170 I have seen quite a few used professionally in bucket trucks and they seem to hold up pretty well compared to Stihl top handles like the ms192 and 019t., very well compared to the few Husky top handles I've seen . I don't remember ever seeing professionals using Husky homeowner grades in their buckets . My Dad's ms180 or maybe its an 018 has noodled many cords of firewood and is still going strong. My experience with the little Huskies, nay. Not that reliable even though they may have a better this and that and I may get a lemon stihl sooner or later I think they are a better investment and less problems.

just for the heck of it I am going to post my ms170,, grant it its a homeowner saw and cost 179 new but they are fun to run,,,,,

this is the one I had for a while but no longer have for reasons I won't get into

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Sr4oqOVyjfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and this is the one I have now

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/axAXcmJKaZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I fitted a adj (025 - walbro 215 iirc) carb and MM'd my 170 and its real nice now, with a 12" .043 it mostly feeds the chipper so that size is perfect and it cuts really really quick. it takes a beating off everyone and so far it's lasting well

My 018c has been a good saw. Used it for almost a decade with little trouble. I don't get the hate for them? I already have and use a MS361. I don't need another saw near the same weight. I'd just use the 361 then. The 018 was nice because of its low weight. Put a better chain on it and it runs right through pretty good sized wood. I used it to cut up a bunch of beech limbs after taking it down with the 361. 10" limbs and the 018 didn't care.

I know everyone like a bigger more powerful saw, but I already have one. I don't know jack about husky saws. The stihl dealer here sells them too. I just want a lightweight smaller saw. Why stihl can't make a pro version is beyond me. It would be nice though.

My 018c has been a good saw. Used it for almost a decade with little trouble. I don't get the hate for them? I already have and use a MS361. I don't need another saw near the same weight. I'd just use the 361 then. The 018 was nice because of its low weight. Put a better chain on it and it runs right through pretty good sized wood. I used it to cut up a bunch of beech limbs after taking it down with the 361. 10" limbs and the 018 didn't care.

I know everyone like a bigger more powerful saw, but I already have one. I don't know jack about husky saws. The stihl dealer here sells them too. I just want a lightweight smaller saw. Why stihl can't make a pro version is beyond me. It would be nice though.

Stihl does make one, it just costs too much.

Latest posts

Back