Ms250 carb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesse916

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a used ms250 from a guy. Wasn't sure what they had done to it. Found 2cycle oil in the bar oil reservoir. But can't get it to start. I'm guessing it's the carb. Also not sure it's even the right carb. The serial # is 262891917 . Does anyone know the correct part for the carburetor? I appreciate any help I can get.

Put a little 2ycycle gas in the carb intake. See if it starts. Then you will know if it is a fuel issue. Don't forget to check fuel hose and pulse hose. High failure rate on those. Fuel hose in 1 out of 5 (sometimes higher).
Diagnosis is cheaper than parts.

DND9000 may be able to tell from the serial number which one is correct.

Most any of the series carbs will work. The problem is the adjustment holes don't line up with the openings in the carb housing. Some adjustment holes go through the top handle. Making the wrong carb adjustable probably not as simple as you expect.

Spray a little starter fluid on the air filter and see if it starts. I used that to start mine when it needed a new fuel filter.

I tried with a little starter fluid. And I got it to barley pop once. I noticed small scaring on the exhaust side of piston. Wondering if they just gassed it. The current carb appears to be aftermarket with no numbers except C10 on the side. I'll send pictures. There are a few different ones for that model. Some have the H and L screws close together and some have them further apart. Just wanted to make sure I got the right one for this saw.

I tried with a little starter fluid. And I got it to barley pop once. I noticed small scaring on the exhaust side of piston. Wondering if they just gassed it. The current carb appears to be aftermarket with no numbers except C10 on the side. I'll send pictures. There are a few different ones for that model. Some have the H and L screws close together and some have them further apart. Just wanted to make sure I got the right one for this saw.

It is probably C1Q which would be normal OEM. The model number will be small black print . Need your reading glasses.

There are more like 10 versions if you count the ones with primer nipples.

But, there are three main ones. Close together like 1/4 inch, maybe 3/4 inch apart, and a single adjustment that you get at through the handle that does nothing but idle it up. Everything else is fixed.

HMMM I would not buy any parts until a diagnosis and tear down. Could be firing the parts cannon on the outside when the issue is internal. See it in the shop all the time.
I suffer from having every carb for that saw in stock and know I can put it on in less than 5 minutes.

But, you are right, if it has scoring on the piston it is chasing your tail.

Back