MS291 Muffler help... won't stay on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about using that permanent epoxy talked about earlier in the thread to stud the cylinder and use lock nuts on the outside.

Hi Haywire-
That's a possibility - but 'permanent epoxy' is weld. I'd be leary that a chemical epoxy would hole up to the heat, and if one loosens, it is all over again. Lock nuts do not actually 'lock onto the threads - they actually prevent the nut from falling off one it loosens. So, I think that while the lockwire trick is a bit more work, it is the best and most eloquent solution I have heard.
Thanks for the suggestion but while it will take a bit more time, I think I'll eventually track down some longer screws and try to safety wire them in. Once wired, they can't come out without removing the wires. I've blocked most of my firewood for this winter already, so motivation is such that with a new saw on the bench, that will likely get used before I get the muffler fixed on the MS291.
On an unrelated issue - seeing your cool fishing photo - I had to add one of my own of my son and I on the gulf of Alaska last summer. Heading up again next month and looking forward to some more time on the salt!!
Good fishing!!
1719698437236.jpeg

Back